New Pics of the Garden

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since I was out taking pics of the Chinese Cabbage I was asking about I took a bunch of other pics so now you have to sit and look at 'em...

PICT8224-M.jpg

These are my Red Kennebeck taters on the left, Yukon Gold and fingerling taters on the right, cabbage, collards, and romaine behind them.

PICT8225-L.jpg

'Maters. I've been growing them in boxes and I string three strands of coated clothesline wire above them so they can vine out on them as they grow. I'll add bamboo stakes in a few more days to help them move up.

PICT8228-M.jpg

We have a problem here with cutworms so I take a Dixie cup and cut the bottom out of it and push it down around a new tomato about 2 or 3 inches into the soil. It seems to work.

PICT8229-M.jpg

Dutch Head Cabbage. Much of this will go towards making Kimchee and Kraut.

PICT8230-M.jpg

And Miss Teresa's Asparagus box. It's a wonder there's anything to take in the house by the end of my evening working in the garden. It's like candy to me. And she gets upset at me. Why? A man's gotta eat, don't he?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
JimWWhite, everything looks so healthy and big! I didn't know you could eat asparagus raw?

Thanks for the pictures. Love seeing them.

Mary

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Ninny. When it's really fresh like this it is so tender and delicious. When I come in from working in the garden Teresa asks me if I'd like her to fix me a plate of dinner she's made. If I say no, she runs out to the garden to check her asparagus and runs back in and starts wailing on me with a wooden spoon and yelling at me. Go figure...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh, you guys make me want to plant some so badly! Maybe in a wine barrel? I just want enough to make it worthwhile.

Mary

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm with you, but you've got to know you can't plant it this year and enjoy it too. From my understanding and watching what Teresa has done for the past three or four years with her box that the first year is to get the crowns in the ground and let them fern out and not take any. The second year you can take about half of what comes up. For the first couple of years you get these little skinny shoots that pop up but you don't want to take them because they have to put all their energy into growing underground. Then pretty much after the second year you can take all you want, except for the little pencil shoots like you see in the pic that she lets go.

But of course she may be telling me this just to keep me out of her asparagus box...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful and so tidy and organized. I noticed the potential a-frame chicken coop down there at the end too. ;)

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Wow, that is beautiful and so tidy and organized. I noticed the potential a-frame chicken coop down there at the end too. ;)
No, I've got a bunch of grand kids that would take exception if I did that to their swing set. We do have chickens but they're off to the left of that pic in an old carport a friend gave me a few years ago. I build the coop and put it inside and then enclosed it with 2x4 wire fabric and chicken wire. We have 24 laying hens and four guineas. No roosters, except there is a guinea rooster. We get at least 18 or 19 eggs each day from our hens and guineas. Big brown ones too. I sell almost every one I get a work for $3.00 a dozen and I never have enough.

PICT6368-M.jpg

Latest posts