New pressure cooker/water bath canner

Ran across a deal last week at Wallyword. Presto 16 quart canner/pressure cooker, $35 bucks. I know right, I looked at them during deer season they were $100. I had planned to use it for canning Okra and vegetables, plus putting up Old tough yard birds, deer and rabbit (sorry Major Lol). I cut up two 10 lb. bags of deer and vacuum sealed them last December, put them In the freezer just for this reason. First good rainy day I cant work In the garden I'm gonna fire this puppy up and can all that meat. If its any count it wont last long, deer at my house is a delicacy, we average putting up 10 a year, and usually by August we're out. Looking forward to trying out some new recipes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
STILL haven't opened up mine and it's in the box, sealed. Does ANYBODY here use a flat topped glass electric stove for pressure canning? I am concerned that I will crack it. Appreciate your comments. :hugs

Call the manufacturer of your stove top and talk to them about it. Some say fine, some say don't. Some will probably give you conditions. The possible issues I can think of: The weight might crack the glass top. With the pot that close it might not let heat escape so it gets too hot and damages the stove top form the trapped heat. If the bottom of the pot is not flat it may not heat up right. I don't like glass tops.

I have a Whirlpool with the coil burners. I got a special canning coil that is reinforced so the weight does not break the burner and it is a bit higher so the heat can escape.