new scenery; old address

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the past few years, Spouse had wanted the aged trees that lean over the house removed. This from the guy who sited the house so we didn't have to take any trees down.

Finally, with son's urging as well, I've been having some of the burr oak trees cut down. So much for living in the woods, but the 40+ years we've watched already old trees spread they would have been a real danger if they fell.

From the front of the house there doesn't seem to be too much visual difference. There are still plenty of trees out behind my (no longer) shady garden to give the appearance of woodlands, but walking around to the back results in glaring sunlight where shade used to reign.

On the one hand, I'm going to have to remove the shade garden and make a new bed further into the woods behind the yard. That's not a bad thing. My shady garden is in need of refurbishing anyway.

On the other hand, I can plant sunny perennials and annuals along the rear of the house now that the wide shade canopy provided by the four huge trees is gone. The back yard looks so bright and open. . . glaring is more like it, IMHO.

There are still five big oak trees overhanging or threatening the woodshop that are marked for removal. That will make the biggest difference in my personal scenery, and probably means my hosta beds are history and will need a new home as well.

Big changes. More changes I could do without. It's been a whole year already since the biggest change and it's still tough.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. Maverick moved in in September, Gypsy in October, the two Danes in November, and my son and his wife were encamped when we returned from Christmas vacation. I love having them -- the kids keep me busy and son has done a lot of needed work both on this property and on the apartments.

Still, not being alone is not the same as not being lonely.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
To have your family with you will help a lot but I do understand the loneliness you must be feeling. When you lose a soulmate it must feel like a big part of you has died with them :hugs. I can't imagine my life without my hubby.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking how the little things in the house become so familiar. Of course, just because I do something, move past something, 100 times - doesn't mean that I won't make some mistake, have some misconception, on the 101st time. In fact, the error may be more grievous, more surprising, more funny because it has become unexpected.

As much as I think that I'm might enjoy a new home rather than this 100 year old house, I wonder how I would adjust to an entirely new set of peculiarities in a different home. Would I really be more comfortable?

Changelessness, invariability, constancy is an illusion. Why, my spellchecker doesn't even recognize the first 2 of those words in this paragraph!! If Webster's didn't recognize them - I might think that I was making them up!.

Even in the cosmos ... probably, especially to be noted in the cosmos ... if we could just travel beyond the speed of light so as to recognize the fact: change is all around and inevitable. Yes, the scientists tell us that with the next solar eclipse, total blocking of sunlight will be an impossibility. The Moon will be slightly further away from Earth so that it will not fully block the light from the Sun at our distance.

Giving these cosmic bodies capital letters in English, Earth, Moon, Sun - makes no difference in the constancy of things! I wonder if we would be less resistant to change if we just left words lower case ...

steve

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, there has certainly been more than enough change in your life this past year. Some heartbreaking, but some uplifting, I would imagine. I can see how losing the trees might be interconnected with losing your dear husband. You two cared for and discussed and worried about them for years, it seems.
But you have been forward thinking, and changed your life in other ways, too, so that the losses don't loom as the singular big thing.
My inclination would be to postpone the removal of the trees, to get used to one change at a time, but I think your way is healthier. :hugs

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it is great that your son and his family want to continue their lives in the house you and hubby built. My father still lives in the house his parents built. All of his life he said he was born in his bedroom and he will die in that room. Unfortunately none of us children want the house after he is gone.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trees can have so much meaning attached to them. They mark the passage of time in our lives like a monument to our memories. They serve as backdrops in family pictures. Some we plant with intent to mark an occasion. Their longevity is comforting. I'm sure it will be a hard change to make, even if it is practical in its purpose. You have persevered through so much this year. Praying for you... :hugs

Latest posts