New Seed Company

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well the 2011 seed catalogs have been rolling in and today I was pleasantly surprised to find a new on in my mailbox on this snowy winter day.

Its called Comstock, Ferre & Company and it was an old time seed company in Connecticut that shut down a while ago and Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds bought them out.
They are offering only non-GMO seeds and everything heirloom just as Baker Creek has always done.
The catalog offers free shipping on all orders. You can go online and request a catalog

www.ComstockFerre.com

From their website:
About our seeds: we sell only pure, non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented seeds. We do not buy seed from Monsanto-owned Seminis. We boycott all gene-altering companies. We are not members of the pro-GMO American Seed Trade Organization! We work with a network of about 50 small farmers, gardeners and seed growers to bring you the best selection of seeds available!

We offer over 1,300 fine varieties!
Our Seed Site: www.rareseeds.com
Our Forums: www.idigmygarden.com
Unique seeds from 70 countries!

They are having a grand opening on Sunday, June 5, 2011.
I am hoping to take a drive down there to check it and do some shopping.
Its a very old building and they restored everything and even got some of the orginal machinery working, they also dress in period attire. Its sort of like stepping back in time.
I love old buildings like that and I think it would be a fun place to visit.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, how lucky to be in driving distance of such a beautiful company! I will request a catalog from them. That sounds like a great, gardening field trip! Take some pics and let us know how you enjoy it!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Baker Creek just bought them and is reopening the business. I'm excited to see how the Gettles are spreading the good things they're doing!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh that is so wonderful to see such growth for such a good cause. :D

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just downloaded the catalog and spent over an hour looking and drooling over it. What a wonderful addition to my pdf files. But there are sooooo many exotic varieties in every category that I get lost. I wish the catalog was divided into two categories . . . simple everyday American stuff . . . and exotics. I don't particularly care for the exotic stuff.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been having a blast trying new Baker Creek stuff, but I am an adventurous type. This year I am planting 2 types of amaranth (orange giant for seed, Joseph's coat for greens), some of these...
http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/melons/melons-asian/golden-sweet-melon.html

Some of these...
http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/melons/melons-asian/rich-sweetness-132-melon.html

and maybe these...
http://rareseeds.com/tomato-pepper.html

And possibly even some Chuffa.

Last year I grew Chinese Red Noodle Beans (my quail ate them, but I managed to grow enough to save some seeds), dragon tongue beans (my favorite), ground cherries (these did great in my area), collective farm woman melon (delicious!) and some Charentais Melon and more.

Normal stuff often wont grow in my area. It's too cold at night, too hot during the day, our Spring is too blizzardy and our falls are too dry. By experimenting with unique varieties I can grow things most of my neighbors trying to garden can't (like melons). Plus I don't want to spend time growing something I can easily get at the farmer's market or the grocery store.

I know my methods aren't for everyone and not everyone has to deal with such weird weather, but life is short. Have some fun. Plant something weird :D

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have actually been to Comstock Ferre. How exciting they are being reopened. I haven't ordered seeds yet this year. I'll have to check out what they've got. Thanks for posting the info!!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got that catalog about a week ago. Seems like a good catalog with great varieties to offer. I'm already trying to order some seeds from there.

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I called the CT store today and they are open for business. I'm driving over on Thursday and seeing what they've got. I'll make a list to bring with me. I'm soooo happy that you shared this site now!

Latest posts