New telemarketing scam

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just had 5 telemarketing scam calls TODAY . Obvious Indian accents, background voice noises indicating a telemarketing group. They said that I had been selected to receive $ 7,500 grant from the US Government that is interest free, and I do not have to pay it back. They will need by bank, address and checking account number and they will make a direct deposit. They will make a $ 200 processing charge. I told them to just mail the check to me and I will then send them the fee. Person hangs up. half hour later another call. Same message, same reply.This time the person wanter my credit card information and that they will deposit the funds into my card. Again I told them to mail me the check. Person hangs up. Next couple times, same demands, same reply. Then the next person says that they need my credit card information and they will direct deposit the funds into my card, but this time they want $ 3.73 processing fee. I told him to mail the check to me and I will pay the mailman the processing fee. Again he hangs up. Be carefull if you get this type of call. :old

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, you could have some fun with this. You could bubble with excitement and give the caller a detailed LONG list of everything you are going to buy with the money. I'll bet you could go on and on and not let the caller get a word in. You could get the caller to hang up on YOU!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, you could have some fun with this. You could bubble with excitement and give the caller a detailed LONG list of everything you are going to buy with the money. I'll bet you could go on and on and not let the caller get a word in. You could get the caller to hang up on YOU!
Yup ! I had fun with these scammers... that is why THEY did the hanging up. :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't want them to call back, just let them hear the "beep" of a recording machine. I used to have an old cassette answering machine hooked up, which would beep when you hit RECORD... they will hang up so fast it makes your ears ring. A pity that machine gave up the ghost, it was really good for that purpose. On the rare occasion that the wife answers an annoying call, she prefers to use a referee's whistle. :ep

The most aggravating part about those calls is that they usually come when I am eating supper. Caller ID usually identifies them, but only after I pull away from my dinner. :somad

Recently telemarketers are getting smarter... they have found a way to route their calls through a local number, making it appear that they might be someone you know.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If anyone calls my home phone, it’s either wrong number, telemarketing or for wife. Anyone who knows me, calls my cell. If it wasn’t for internet, I’d drop land line.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning the telemarketers started to call my cell phone at 5: 03 am and about every 20 minutes apart thereafter at 9:20 am. I told that same s o b off that i talked to several times before and told him to take my contact information off their to call list in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS.

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you don't want them to call back, just let them hear the "beep" of a recording machine. I used to have an old cassette answering machine hooked up, which would beep when you hit RECORD... they will hang up so fast it makes your ears ring. A pity that machine gave up the ghost, it was really good for that purpose. On the rare occasion that the wife answers an annoying call, she prefers to use a referee's whistle. :ep

The most aggravating part about those calls is that they usually come when I am eating supper. Caller ID usually identifies them, but only after I pull away from my dinner. :somad

Recently telemarketers are getting smarter... they have found a way to route their calls through a local number, making it appear that they might be someone you know.

Us too, always just after we sit down to dinner. Hmmmmm, I still have the distress whistle I had attached to my floater coat, thankfully never had to use it. I think I'll leave it beside the phone. Your wife and I would get along like a house on fire, same mind set :D.

Annette

Latest posts