New to herb growing

CrestedHorizonPoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am reading about Lemon Balm, Mints...taking over gardens. Is it better to use them in pots?

Im in zone 5

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know it really depends on your overall plans... For instance, are you just using the herb as a ground cover off in a corner somewhere, or did you want it front and center of an existing garden? Both can be invasive, so planting in a pot is never a bad idea. Some people plant in the ground with a barrier surrounding the plant. Some people (like me) just start pulling when it gets in my way....Right now in early spring- I love all things green, including mint. In a month when I am looking for an inch of dirt to squeeze something into-my opinion changes!!!! Happy Gardening!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can add others to the list, such as oregano and tarragon.

I've tried cutting the bottom out of pots and burying the pots. Doesn't work as well as you would hope. Any branch that touches the ground can sprout roots and containment is gone. Many spread by seed as well as by roots. Seeds don't all fall in the container. The roots are really aggressive in trying to spread.

Lesa hit the two basic methods that work for me. Plant them in a space where you have a space around it and can keep it mowed. It will try to spread but as long as you keep it mowed, it is not too bad.

I also plant some of these in my garden. I take a shovel and severely discipline the parts that try to grow out of my intended zone for them. Just trim it back to where you want it to be. If you do it in the spring before it has a chance to seed, you can compost it. I usually just throw it in with the chickens so they can enjoy the green leaves or any seeds that are there.

Latest posts