newbie from NY

Christopher

Sprout
Reaction score
Hallo everyone! I'm still working on my green thumb and decided to go from just container gardening to square foot gardening (on a small spot of the backyard)...I still have small kiddos so don't want to take away too much of their running/playing space.

I plan on doing the following this year:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Onions
- Turnips
- Honeydew Melon
- Cantaloupe

** What I've been planting for years in the Aerogardens (have it going now as well)**
- Lettuce
- Kale
- Spinach

Wish me good luck and advice

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Christopher, glad you joined. I don't do square foot or even raised bed gardening but some people on here have experience with those methods. Sweet potatoes, melons, and cantaloupe can take up a lot of space, which can be a challenge. Hopefully those with experience can tell you how they keep them under control.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Christopher! :frow
Are you going to trellis those vine crops? I bought a watermelon variety this year that is supposed to do well in a container. We'll see.
Having your kids involved in even a small way is a great way to raise a future gardener.:)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Christopher. I do some container gardening but find they require more work keeping everything healthy.

I love cantaloupe and wish I could grow it but my summers are not hot enough.

Mary

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Howdy from Arkansas. Melons can take up a lot of space. Thistlebloom is right about trellising vining plants and even tomatoes can be pruned and trained up. Also when the plants put on a fruit or two prune off past the fruit and it will stay compact. This is a great site. Very entertaining and informative. Thank you for sharing with us.

Latest posts