Newbie Here! Hello from SC!

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello All! Have gardened off and on throughout the years. Have a little but of experience from what I have learned watching my dad garden but now out on my own and the boyfriend and I are starting a vegetable garden. Looking to get good info and knowledge here!

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to chatting with you all :)
@ninnymary This is what I plan on growing, we do not have a huge garden space tilled out so we are planning to rotate what we plant and maybe even put the peppers and tomatoes in pots:

Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Tomatoes
Onion
Snap Peas
Green Beans
Black Simpson Lettuce
Cucumbers
Carrots
Beets

What do you all plant?

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you all plant?
Me?

I have all those ... or, have had ;).

Why black seeded Simpson, specifically? There are a world of greens out there :). Do you know where in the world Batavia is? I didn't really ... until I began reading about what some people call "summercrisp" lettuce.

:) Steve

CarolinaGardenerSC

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Me?

I have all those ... or, have had ;).

Why black seeded Simpson, specifically? There are a world of greens out there :). Do you know where in the world Batavia is? I didn't really ... until I began reading about what some people call "summercrisp" lettuce.

:) Steve
Hi Steve Thanks for your reply! I wanted to see what people on here are planting. Sounds like you have quite the gardening experience!
My boyfriend was the one who chose Black Simpson. He said he had a neighbor who used to plant it and it had the freshest flavor he had had of lettuces, and he mentioned since it grows reproducing leaves not "heads" we could pick our day's portions for the daily salad instead of a head at a time.
I have not heard of Batavia. Where is it? I am curious. So what then is "summercrisp" lettuce? :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Batavia is in the Netherlands, CarolinaGardener.

The thought just jumped into my mind that you may need something called "Summer Crisp" in South Carolina ;). I like "Nevada" Summer Crisp but that might reflect a lot about where I am, too.

There are quite a few leaf lettuces that you can cut and that come-again. Simpson is a good one :).

Steve

Latest posts