Newbie, just want to say Hi!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi all came over from BYC and so happy this site is here, especially since I can't even start planting for about another 2-3 weeks- -I can garden vicariously through all the lucky folks who have planted. I am looking forward to visiting often and seeing pics and hearing about everyones gardens and such. Thanks for another great site!!
Kim

Reaction score
Hi Kim, I'm new to the site also and have enjoyed reading the posts. I have had my garden in for a month now and I am walking the rows every day looking and waiting. Wish you well with yours, Mitch

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. Mitch, I use to live on the gulf coast of FL, in Port Charlotte. I so love Colorado, BUT as I grow older I sometimes miss the warm weather, it is snowing on my garden beds as I type LOL. Although it is a good wet snow and we always need moisture here on the high plains.
Kim

Reaction score
Hey Kim, I live on the other end of the Gulf Coast. East of Pensacola. The tourist guides call it the "Emerald Coast", Ole Timers call it "L. A." and the tourist call it the "Redneck Riviera". I call it Home. We have the purest white sand beaches with emerald colored water. The area still has a lot of the old Southern charm and rural ways. Considering we are on the coast we even have some decent soil for planting. I am a seventh generation Florida boy so the idea of waiting for the snow to melt before planting is alien to me. My only complaint about the living here is I can't grow asparagus or apples. I guess if I had that I would call it Heaven.
Mitch

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Mitch, The farthest north I ever got was wherever the Bok Singing Tower is gosh I just can't remember, i do remember it was very green and lush. We woke up to 6 inches of good wet snow on the garden beds, it has melted in already and will be about 60 deg tomorrow so I will be out cultivating in the chicken manure from my coop, that I put down a couple weeks ago. My DH wants to ride our bike down to Key West, but that is a awfully long ride from here...His idea is to basically start eating in Louisanna and not stop till he hits the keys LOL. I have a key lime tree growing in my aquarium room, I do miss key lime pies and good FRESH seafood. I have a peach tree and would like to start a asparagus bed. This year it is potatoes, green beans various peppers, brussels sprouts, squash and herbs. My fingers are definately itching to get in the dirt!!!
Kim

Reaction score
Colorado to Key West? I rode my bike from Pensacola to Key West years ago and that was enough for me. I guess I am not a real biker. For the past two years we have had dry summers and my garden and water well suffered. This year I am trying something different. In addition to my regular garden I installed a drip irrigation system that covers 400 square feet with 200 emitters. It has a Dosmatic fertilizer injector, water meter and timer. So far I have had sufficient rain so I have not had to use it other than test runs. I planted the exact vegetables in both gardens to run a parallel test. So far both are growing the same but this weekend I will make my first liquid fertilizer application and I am hoping I will start seeing a difference. If this method works out I plan to expand it next year. I am betting after invested the time researching, expense and added work we will have a wet summer. You mentioned "garden beds" do you use raised beds? What USDA zone are you in? I looked at the map and Colorado runs from 2 to 7. Mine is listed as 8b but I have been growing 5 different types of citrus trees for the past ten years with no problem.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are in zone 5. I just moved my garden area this year and set up six "raised" beds or at least my version. 3 are 12'x6' and 3 are 6'x6'. I love growing potatoes so now I can have good rotation ability. I hope to put in a drip irrigation system since I think I have finally gotten my forever garden area set up. I still have to decide on what I'm going to use for the walkways, and change the fenceing around it, but the weather hasn't been the greatest. But it is about 60 out there now so I'm off to till, maybe I'll post some pics, it is a work in progress, so guess I best go and try to progress.

Latest posts