Nice Surprise In My Vines

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all

As you know I do a lot of planting that involves "find stuff in something else, then plant it to see what it is" This includes the massive group I refer to as ACSMs (Assorted Convuvulacae Species Members, or in basic terms "things that look like they may be related to bindweeds") Most of these are junk (and some are really nasty invasive junk) but I keep hoping to find the odd ones with attractive flowers (Morning glory is a bindweed, after all) As of now, this has only happened ones, with the one I call "keel seeded bindweed" Now it's twice. This has shown up on one of the vines https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift...DopduRRy1dONKR6zg/AUS/27946372526070/SNAPFISH.

This seems to be some sort of morning glory. Not the standard one since it has 3 lobed leaves, but I think I have seen that before. Hopefully some of the others are the same.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had the same blue morning glory vine show up alongside of my house, where I still need to weed again and spray. A bird could have brought mine but I think I'll kill mine. The only vines I like this year at my place are beans, squashes and sweet potatoes.
Do you grow blue Indian corn? I'd like to know more about it, since I threw the seeds in with regular corn as a cover crop this year.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, yours' have three way divided leaves too?

I don't normally grow blue Indian corn, since I use the space for growing my OWN mix of Indian corn, which is speckled. But one corn grows much the same as another. If you are lucky with saved seeds you could eventually get some mixing as the two cross (though it won't be stable for many generations) When the ears are done and dry, see what happens (though I think color does not show until the next generation, so the corn should look pretty normal until you replant.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks! I think I planted them soon enough to get some ears, so we'll see. What I think is interesting is that when I grew corn in the past I got partial ears (and that crummy fungus) and I thought I did it wrong, BUT, my research shows that it is pretty normal. I understand that blue corn is healthier, too.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't knock that fungus; find a Latin American restaurant and they will pay you more for that than you could EVER could make on the corn. Huitlacoche is to them what truffles are to a French or Italian.

Latest posts