~ NOSTALGIA ~ memories of our agrarian past!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have been rather serious in some of the threads & posts I've made lately so this one is a change from that.......!! I thought it might be interesting to collect together information of our combined agrarian past. Do you have stories, photos, information from your families past on the land?

I came across this really interesting site; almanacs used to be so important in a farmers life. This page starts with a quote from Spring 1867:

http://oldfarmalmanacs.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-03-21T07:57:00-04:00&max-results=10

Happy Springtime everyone! :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, the old Almanac entries are really neat! I didn't have time to read very far, but I bookmarked it so I could go back and read a few at a time. Some of the terms I don't know. Good advice there! Surely, if you don't have your equipment ready to go by the beginning of March, you are already far behind for the season! Loved the one on The Diet of Children. My DD has a book of folk nursery tales which has the story "Soddy Salyratus" (in which a little boy is sent to the store to buy "salyratus" for his grandmother's biscuits) and that entry mentions "saleratus bread". (Foundthis link ...says it was a naturally occuring leavening powder.) Well, according to the almanac, I'm doing pretty good with my toddler's diet. :lol:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Good stuff boggy b & journey :D

Here's a diary of a farmers wife from the end of the 19th Century:

http://1892farmwife.blogspot.com/

I think this might be a fun thread; I hope so because I love history (especially social history). I also love old photographs & paintings of people working. Let's hope this thread jogs the memories of forum members to show us some of their ancestors etc. :frow

:bee Hattie :bee

Latest posts