Not exactly "preserving", but keeping food, anyway

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I notice that there are A LOT of cooks on this site, so I thought I'd share a recycling/storage idea that I came up with a few years back. I store: flour, sugar, and rice
in those really big popcorn containers that people give you for Christmas. I use a LARGE type ZIPLOC double seal bag for each tin. (The X-Large and XX-large are WWWAAAAYYYY too big for this!
If you're like me, you might only need a lot of flour for the holidays, then go through some parts of the year where it sits. If you leave flour in it's paper wrapper, it's bound to get bugs. I can stock up on these staples when there are sales, OR buy the really large size of, say, rice, and keep it on hand.
The labels are made with masking tape and a Sharpie, but, honestly my tins have different holiday patterns, so at this point I know what's inside. I keep them in my downstairs pantry, balanced on a piece of old landscape timber to keep them off of the ground and help stop rusting.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great idea! Those containers are everywhere. I thought of it, but the cans I found were a little rusty- your idea of a ziploc bag solves all!! Great reusing and recycling!

Latest posts