Not Going to Grow as Much in Garden Next Year, says my MOM!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That was her statement last year. We had such a great garden season we would have leftovers so not to grow as much this year. Guess what! We finished planting two gardens spots this last week, twice as much as last year. Ha, Ha I guess we will have lots to give away to the needy and food bank. She loves her gardening and still does well at age of almost 83. It keeps her young and she can still outwork me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See '4acres, there's a risk that this year's garden won't be as productive as last year. Yeah. The "poundage per square foot" might be down.

There's only 1 thing to do -- plant more square feet!

Yep, my dad could still outwork me when he was in his early 80's. Pretty much, the only thing he was doing after his "2nd retirement" was gardening. Dad had to go back to work after he retired at 62. Wow! He got grouchy there for awhile. Claimed he would hunt, fish, travel and take a nap every afternoon. For about the 1st year of his retirement -- all he did was take an afternoon nap. Talk about wasted time! That nap did his attitude no good at all! He went back to work part-time and slowly retired from that. By the time he was about 70/72, he'd better learned gardening ;) and was better behaved as a retired person . . .

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to hear the same thing from my mother at the end of the season when she was tired out from all the canning but just like yours her garden got bigger every Spring when the planting bug hit again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom never grew a garden. She watches me dig in mine and keeps an eye on the little veggies until they are ready to pick and eat! :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
My Mom never grew a garden. She watches me dig in mine and keeps an eye on the little veggies until they are ready to pick and eat! :lol:
Sounds like my wife and her mother. All the time picking and eating while saying they could buy it cheaper...... And they wonder why I need gardening for stress relief.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Retired. I have a 92-year-old friend who still cans, quarts upon quarts every summer.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
All winter I heard, "I'm bored"! Sounding like the children when they were growing up. I finally got her to quilting so she pieced and quilted 3 quilts during the winter but as soon as a pretty day appeared this spring she put it up and started planning her garden. Of course, this spring was loooonnnnggg and didn't get planting weather until about 6 weeks later than last year. By that time she was saying, "I'm bored and maybe I need to get a job". FINALLY, weather got just right and "a planting we would go". She is a happy woman now! Everything looks good so far. Bugs are numerous and she picks lots off every morning.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had great garden plans read the square foot garden where and when to put everything, Then I started planting and all the space is used up and I am running to the Goodwill for large plastic containers to add more!!!:watering

:tools

Latest posts