Nyer Seeds

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to try to save some seeds from ours. We have a couple large ones out in garden that will be ripe in a few more days. I have never saved tomato seeds before so not sure how to proceed. The NYers really work in our garden and we plan to keep growing them in the future.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am going to try to save some seeds from ours. We have a couple large ones out in garden that will be ripe in a few more days. I have never saved tomato seeds before so not sure how to proceed. The NYers really work in our garden and we plan to keep growing them in the future.

This is how I do mine, I could describe, but found this on youtube, this is how I do mine.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Different ways to save tomato seed. Some people go through rinsing and fermenting and such to get the nice clean seeds like you buy in those packets. That's the proper way, the way Annette does it.

I wait until a good tomato is really ripe and spread the seeds and the pulp on some newspaper or a paper towel. After a few days when it is really dry I peel them off and store them in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Bits of the newspaper or paper towel will probably stick to the seed. That does not stop them from germinating and growing.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Different ways to save tomato seed. Some people go through rinsing and fermenting and such to get the nice clean seeds like you buy in those packets. That's the proper way, the way Annette does it.

I wait until a good tomato is really ripe and spread the seeds and the pulp on some newspaper or a paper towel. After a few days when it is really dry I peel them off and store them in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Bits of the newspaper or paper towel will probably stick to the seed. That does not stop them from germinating and growing.

Yep, that works too, whatever turns your crank ;).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have :).

The New Yorker seed is in the sunshine stuck to a paper towel and has been there over a week.

My approach to tomato seed saving is about the simplest. I try not to get too much gunk with the seed I collect off the cutting board after slicing. There may be a little mining of seeds from the tomato but if only a dozen seeds are needed, there are usually that many with 1/2" slices.

We continue to have less than 20% humidity every afternoon. I leave that paper towel, held down by bricks in lots of afternoon sun for 2 or 3 weeks, longer better than shorter ;). I did have a problem with a sparrow eating them once. But, only once ... :)

Make sure ID and date are written on towel, fold and put in Ziploc bag ...

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are the two NYers I am going to save seeds from. Both are above the average size and look good.
3ADB0512-3448-4FBC-A9EA-A296CABC3564.jpeg
B5BD4CF2-3357-4DE3-A2CC-DAC84A4FB75B.jpeg

I am going to try the jar method since I have extra time on my hands.