Official end of the year's veg garden

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we have eked along without any real frost yet, but tonight's low is forecast to be 4 C when we have been running 4-5 C lower than forecast (which would make the 'real forecast' for us 0 C i.e. freezing); and the forecast lows for the entire next week are between 1 C and -1 C.

So, I stood out there under dim cloudy skies in a cold drizzle picking out all of the salvageable green tomatoes (not too darn many, barely a jelly kettle full) and the last few edible green beans, and picking all of Harry's sunflowers which are finally blooming well <sigh>, and grabbing the last and least-brown-spotted remnants of basil to take in and make pesto for the freezer.

(Well ok, I still have a few containers of fall lettuce growing, but that's different)

I have to take the green tomatoes out of the kettle and set them up for storage, but otherwise, as far as I am concerned, <announcer voice> "the veg garden has left the building" </announcer voice>.

And what a crappy veg garden it was, this year, too. Sheesh.

Question, in the unlikely event anyone has read this far :p -- I can leave bean pods on the vine through some frosts, right, without jeopardizing the seeds inside which I want to save to plant next year? I've never tried it, but I'm just sorta leery of picking them quite yet because many do not seem really mature. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think they'll be fine, other than the chance of them rotting if they get too wet after thawing.

Latest posts