Oh, the Diversity!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It must be impossible to keep track of them.

2018332900.png

Wikipedia claims that there are "approximately" 700 separate species! LINK I have trouble imagining researchers taking such an interest and making records. US government lists too many to count .

Silene doesn't seem to me to be a very consequential plant, common, yeah. It's not a very troublesome weed. Gets started in disturbed soil but vulnerable to cultivation and usually plays out over a few years if left. Not a beautiful wildflower ... only metaphysically useful to humans ...

Silene is past its showy stage now but these were under the neighbor's fir tree and shaded. 700 species worldwide, it seems incredible.

Steve

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think you meant your first link to be: ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silene

and yes, we do have them here. they are a tough weed to remove as bits of roots left behind can regrow and the flowers give plenty of seeds which they will fling all over the place if given a chance. the latifolia version is what is common here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corrected links. Thank You, @flowerbug .

I have no idea how ... oh yeah, autocorrect "fixed" a word it didn't know. I'd looked at the Silene article earlier, changed computers, and decided that I'd best make a quick link at the last minute for reference :rolleyes:.

With approximately 700 separate species ~ Good Grief! ~ generalities are out the window. I really have no idea what this wispy little catchfly amounts to, elsewhere.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corrected links. Thank You, @flowerbug .

I have no idea how ... oh yeah, autocorrect "fixed" a word it didn't know. I'd looked at the Silene article earlier, changed computers, and decided that I'd best make a quick link at the last minute for reference :rolleyes:.

With approximately 700 separate species ~ Good Grief! ~ generalities are out the window. I really have no idea what this wispy little catchfly amounts to, elsewhere.

Steve

still broken (check it again? :) )...

i wonder how many of them have specialized pollinators... but no time to even begin to look into that sort of thing.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Latest posts