olive tree

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about olive trees?? i have one that has refused to bloom. it was blooming when we bought it--even had little olives. nothing since then, that has been about 3 years ago. i am in zone 8 i believe, mississippi gulf coast. any ideals??

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My MIL has an olive farm in Cyprus. She says it depends what kind of olive tree. Some are good producers, others not so much. Do you know what sort of olive it is? Also, what kind of soil, is it irrigated regularly, does it get a lot of water or barely-enough to stay alive? She says the Greek/Cypriot/Italian/Spanish olives are all best grown in rocky-ish soil, not very fertile, not a lot of rain, lightly irrigated just enough that they don't actually wilt. And sun, oodles of sun, all the time. Not a hint of shade will be tolerated.

Reaction score
Olea europaea
finally i found the name of the tree! i think i am just destined to have a fruitless tree. it's a nice lookin tree. thank you for all the info. she sits in the full sun, i rarely water her, no feritlze, maybe i need to quit talking to her. :). the only thing i am not sure about is the soil, i have her in a huge planter and for the life of me i don't remember what i used to fill the thing. ahh well, she is a pretty little tree. thank you for you help.:happy_flower