Olive Trees in NC?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far on my property in NC, I have planted a few fig trees, cherry trees, peach and nectarine. I've been thinking of something I've always wanted to grow but couldn't due to the climate here in NY. Olive trees, that would be very nice to have a few olive trees growing around the orchard but, Is this a good climate for them to survive in.
I have been researching for awhile on this and found one variety called "Arbequina" that is the hardiest olive variety available that can take the most cold. I've even called a few olive groves in California, Texas, and Georgia. I didn't even know they grew olives down in Georgia, that's amazing. One guy I spoke to suggested to either bury the tree like you would a fig tree for the winter or you could cover it with a protective cloth from any freeze. They may or may not thrive in this climate.
I'm really determined to try planting a few trees, that would be a dream come true for me to be able to get them to thrive. My property has a slope to it with one side being higher up, I bet higher ground would be good for olive trees to keep that frost away.
Today I called The County Extension Office to see what they knew about growing olives and the lady said she would research this and get back to me via e-mail. Well I got her e-mail and couldn't believe what she wrote. Here's what she wrote,

"In response to your call to the Master Gardner office this afternoon, information regarding olive trees in North Carolina can be found by going to www.ehow.com.

--
Master Gardener Volunteer"

I mean I expected her to give me information on olives not just send me a search link. I could of did the same thing on ehow.com. She's a Master Gardener too, you would think she knew a thing or two about olives instead of suggesting me to research it on ehow.
This was my first time calling an Extension Office, is this how they are usually? Not wanting to give good assistance.

Oh well, they weren't of much help, I'll keep researching on my own, there has to be a way to grow olives in this State. Think about how that would help improve Agriculture in this state with a new crop being farmed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well maybe I can be of a little help. We have some funky zoning things going on in NC. There are hot pockets here, and then there is mountain climates.

So my question would be do you know your 2012 zone in NC, if not could I get the zip code so I could pull it up?

I do recall a few olive trees in Duplin Co NC, so to say you shouldn't isn't really true. You just have to be picky about variety and very careful with your 'pocket' here.

I find the Mountain region to be a no, the peidmount area has some pockets, the shore area on the south end would be good. I live one country road over from line 8a here, and from what I've read, I would most certainly try olives here. We've talked about it, but those would be big investment trees for us. We're so comfortable that pomegranates are on our list of trees to add too.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Well maybe I can be of a little help. We have some funky zoning things going on in NC. There are hot pockets here, and then there is mountain climates.

So my question would be do you know your 2012 zone in NC, if not could I get the zip code so I could pull it up?

I do recall a few olive trees in Duplin Co NC, so to say you shouldn't isn't really true. You just have to be picky about variety and very careful with your 'pocket' here.

I find the Mountain region to be a no, the peidmount area has some pockets, the shore area on the south end would be good. I live one country road over from line 8a here, and from what I've read, I would most certainly try olives here. We've talked about it, but those would be big investment trees for us. We're so comfortable that pomegranates are on our list of trees to add too.
Hi vfem,
Thanks so much for replying!

Yes, My zip code is 27249 I'm in the Piedmont area, usually called the Triad. Its around 15 minutes away from Greensboro. I'll have to see if there are other hardy varieties other than "Arbequina", but if their isn't I'll try this variety. Yeah I would think in your area near the shore area would be great for growing Olives, better I bet than in my climate. Why don't you try planting a few small olive trees their not nearly as expensive as the bigger potted trees. I know "Arbequina" is self pollinating.

Thank you Again!
I appreciate it ;)

sh51287

Sprout
Reaction score
I just happened to Google the question "can you grow olive trees in NC?" and your post came up in my search...then I realized you actually live in the same town I do=amazing coincidence!!! did you ever plant any olive trees in 27249 area? if so what was your outcome? I have a pool and complete back yard that mimic my travels in Mykonos and Santorini and am considering olive trees to authenticate the space.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@sh51287 welcome to the forum! You are new, so I will call up the OP for you by using the @ sign in front of the name. The next time @Greenthumb18 signs in, there will be a notification waiting. Or you could click on the name Greenthumb18, a box will pop up and then click on start a conversation. Write a note and send. A notification will be emailed and you will get a quicker response.

Welcome and glad you are here!

CCole

Sprout
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I am successfully growing olives in Greensboro; my catch is they are potted, and I bring them in for the winter. Two of them have lived a couple years in Northern VA as well, and moved with me. If you're looking to plant them in the ground, you'll have to watch the temperatures, and protect if it goes below freezing. The cloth/clear cover with incandescent Christmas lights work fairly well from what I've seen. The two I brought with me from VA have survived 2 nights of 16 degree weather, but they had a lot of dieback. A little protection and added heat will keep them healthy, but it is safer to bring them indoors.

CindyM

Sprout
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I am successfully growing olives in Greensboro; my catch is they are potted, and I bring them in for the winter. Two of them have lived a couple years in Northern VA as well, and moved with me. If you're looking to plant them in the ground, you'll have to watch the temperatures, and protect if it goes below freezing. The cloth/clear cover with incandescent Christmas lights work fairly well from what I've seen. The two I brought with me from VA have survived 2 nights of 16 degree weather, but they had a lot of dieback. A little protection and added heat will keep them healthy, but it is safer to bring them indoors.
I just found this forum and am thrilled to read this note, as I would like to grow some olive trees too. I’m in Winston Salem and am hoping you can share info on the variety that’s doing well for you in Greensboro, and maybe, if you’re getting olives, share a couple to start new trees.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome CindyM! Unfortunately that is an old post and the people aren't hear anymore to tell you what varieties of olive trees they have.

Mary