One D**n Thing After Another

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The plastic film was taken off the temporary hoop house in the backyard. Those two beds that were covered have now just been transformed back into 2/3rds of my tiny backyard garden. Open, for several of the neighbors to see ...

I got the bolting bok choy pulled and I'm in there pulling tiny weeds. Now! Here they come!

Oh, that d**n annual euphorbia, the name I can never remember, it was growing under the plastic. The crab grass is likely to have been in there ... now, it's just obvious! I don't know about the purslane ... Here it comes, like those Black Friday midnight shoppers!

I've been fighting these things in the distant, bigger gardens. Here they are at home. I'm almost staying even with them, out there. Will they get ahead of me in this tiny space? As usual ...

I'm reminded of @Nyboy 's the cobbler's children have no shoes :). It isn't so much the d**n things as the d**n places ... always trying to get ahead of me!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I feel your pain. In my yard, that creeping Charlie is taking over. It has spread about halfway to the edge of the lawn on the north side. Started in the flower beds. And white clover is running rampant. I don't mind it so bad, but it sure looks ragged when it needs mowing. I am pretty sure 2, 4-D will take care of it, but I am hesitant to use it where the dog and chickens roam.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is creeping Charlie around my back steps but I no longer have free-ranging chickens. As it tries to work its way under the deck, it will be sprayed. I won't be mowing or crawling under the deck to weed. Surprisingly the sunnier areas have "plant species" that compete well with Charlie.

I don't use herbicides on the lawn.

The lawn "environment" is testimony to that.

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My battle is with pigweed, which we never had a problem with until we got a load of goat manure from the farmer down the road. Now it's EVERYWHERE. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pigweed is a problem here, too. It grows and goes to seed in the unkempt areas of the adjoining field, and the space between my yard and the field.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When life gives you pigweed- eat it! (they say...) o_O

"Edible parts: Young leaves can be eaten raw or cooked like spinach, sautéed, etc. Pigweed has a mild flavour and is often mixed with stronger flavoured leaves. Fresh or dried pigweed leaves can be used to make tea. The seed is very small but easy to harvest and very nutritious. The flavour is greatly improved by roasting the seed before grinding it. Pigweed seed can be ground into a powder and used as a cereal substitute, it can also be sprouted and added to salads. The seed is very small but easy to harvest and very nutritious."

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
one-damn-thing-after-another-e1340471219664.jpg