One Sunny Acre garden journal 2015

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally broke down and cut up one of my "peanut pumpkins" today to make soup, pie and muffins. It was so pretty, I hated to! But they're supposed to taste really good. :drool It smells good too.

The girls helped me to remove the seeds and decided the stringy pulp is better than play-doh. They played with this for over an hour!

IMGP8675_web.jpg

IMGP8680_web.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
you know @journey11 after a o'dark thirty cleaning of the floors for a managers meeting and supposedly intelligent people who run the business don't understand the principal how a metal halide light will not come on at flick of a switch, and replacing a stream line inside the bowels of a autoclave.

well just seeing the kids playing in the goo sure has made my day...thank you
those peanut pumpkins are very interesting showed the dw and she has already been googling for them looks like i might be growing them this year....

cute workers too.. got to love moments like that.....

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too cute!!!

Please let us know how they taste. I've seen seeds for them but always wondered if they were decorative or tasty.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too cute!!!

Please let us know how they taste. I've seen seeds for them but always wondered if they were decorative or tasty.

They are very pretty with all of their bumps and warts. You guys should try them. I'll let you know how they taste! Soup is for dinner tonight and I'll probably make a pie for tonight too (have to make one for Sunday too.) :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the look your youngest is giving her sister. I see that look in my kids too. Great job capturing it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's what I've got going on so far. Some pics of my wintersown containers, 33 altogether. Most were done on March 10th, but really you are supposed to do them in like January or February and leave them to do their own thing. Various stuff is sprouting in 28 of them so far.

IMGP8850_web.JPG

Close up of alyssum and red mustard...
IMGP8852_web.jpg

These are swiss chard, lettuce, morning glories, poppies, evergreen bunching onions, bok choy... I've had the tops open for a couple of days, even through all the rainstorms we just had. I shut them tonight just in case, although if it frosts tonight, we will be the last ones to get it. After that, forecast is mostly 70's in the days and 50's at night. :woot That's morel hunting weather!
IMGP8853_web.jpg

Here's the main garden after the chickens have been rotated over all four quadrants this past fall/winter. I did not have to remove any of the cardboard, straw or dead vegetation other than sunflowers and cornstalks. The chickens composted everything, even the cardboard is gone without a trace. Only the skeletons of a couple of pepper plants were left. I tossed all of my kitchen compostables in with them too.
IMGP8863_web.jpg

This is all that is left of my 2 big apple trees. Lost them to fireblight. :hit
IMGP8868_web.jpg

And today DH started on cutting down the 6 big maple trees across the road from us. I am so excited because my view of the sunrise will be totally unobscured AND no more annoying maple seed propellers clogging up my gutters! And it will be awesome to have all of that firewood ready for next year.
IMGP8872_web.jpg

One of our neighbors bought this strip of land off of our other neighbor who needed some money for hospital bills. It's maybe 1/3 of an acre, but all long and narrow, maybe 20' wide along the road. He was going to park his RV over there but changed his mind. Now he's talking about putting a mobile home on it then selling or trading it to someone. (Ack!) It faces directly across the road from the front of our house. I don't think you could put a home on it because there is no sewer out here and no where to put a septic system over that embankment behind it. I don't know what he's thinking.
297.gif
I'm fairly sure no one will want it and he'll soon get tired of mowing it and paying taxes on it. We offered him twice what he paid for it cash in hand and it's really worth more than that to us to prevent what it will do to our property value if we ever want to sell this house. I love living in the country, but the fact that your neighbors can do any number of screwy things on their property is one pitfall. :\ If he'll sell it to us though, I'm going to plant fruit trees on it and put in another garden plot.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would refuse doubling their money on a piece of worthless (to them) property? Let's hope he takes your offer!

Latest posts