Ophiopogon japonicus (Mondo grass)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay...I am curious. I have mondo grass.....planted in some outdoor containers. They have big blue seed/fruits on them. Has anyone ever planted them to see if they grow? In researching the plants, it is said they are propagated by root separation. When they grow in the wild, the seeds must be for something, besides just looking pretty.

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
C & P

Propagation Methods:
By dividing the rootball
By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

Seed Collecting:
N/A: plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed

C & P

I have a question about dwarf mondo grass (Ophiopogon japonicus Nana). I planted it last year as a groundcover around foundation plants in the hope that someday I wouldnt have to buy pine straw. It is filling in slowly as I expected. I recently discovered the beautiful blue berries hidden under the foliage. I thought someone had lost their beads when I saw them the first time. If I plant them will they sprout, or is there something I need to do to the seeds first, like dry them or freeze them? It would sure speed up the time it will take to fill in the area if I can germinate some of the berries.

A: My University of Georgia colleague Allan Armitage says that the seeds will sprout if you first soak them in water for twenty four hours and remove the pulp. Plant the cleaned seed one-half inch deep in a plastic nursery flat filled with moistened seed starting mix. Insert the flat into a large plastic bag, to prevent drying, and put in a moderately warm spot. to germinate. In six weeks you should begin to see tiny green leaves peek from the soil. Remove the plastic bag and place the flat in the brightest spot possible. If you dont have a bright spot, hang a two tube fluorescent fixture four inches above the flat. By May the plants should be big enough to transplant to individual four inch pots. Water and fertilize them regularly during the summer. They can be transplanted to your groundcover area in October.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just wondered if it was possible, and had anyone grown them from the seeds. Mine have the bright blue seed balls.

stone

Leafing Out
Reaction score
NM...

I thought I knew something about this plant...

Those bright blue seeds are very interesting...

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
stone said:
The seeds come up fine for me...

I don't collect them, but the seedlings come up in the mulch near the parent plants... very well.
That is what I thought I noticed in mine. I planted all of mine in a container, for the front porch. I didn't do anything with them last year, this year, I colected the little round blue seeds. I thought it would be fun to experiment :watering

KittyRose

Sprout
Reaction score
Okay...I am curious. I have mondo grass.....planted in some outdoor containers. They have big blue seed/fruits on them. Has anyone ever planted them to see if they grow? In researching the plants, it is said they are propagated by root separation. When they grow in the wild, the seeds must be for something, besides just looking pretty.
I can tell you it does come true from seed. I have two patches that appeared under trees, apparently a gift from the birds! It likes shady spots that are a bit lower so they don't dry out (i.e. at the base of a slope). This plant does tolerate clay soil since that's where it appeared. Rabbits do eat the foliage but only in the fall when they are hungry and food is scarce.

Latest posts