oregano taking over!!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Oregano patch has stayed the same size for years. Every winter I think I have lost it but up it pops alongside some Lemon Balm, I is a golden variety but I have just ordered a Greek one which is supposed to have the best taste, stronger! We will see because I think that it is more the strength of the sun & the terrain that strengthens the taste. I grow the same type of Rosemary in both my front & back gardens & the front produces a much more pronounced taste -- it has a much harder life there as it is drier & has the sun for longer. I grew them from slips I begged from a friend. Here in the UK I can grow it outside all winter, as I can with my thyme :happy_flower

Have a good weekend in the garden :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had the same happen to us, except it ws mint that was taking over. The mint was brought from Nogales Sonora Mexico--Were my mom grew up. The massive plant is still in the garden, constantly spreading. Every spring we pull off a bunch of leaves to dry and use for tea (Good stomach ache remedy by the way) the rest we dig out and give away. :weight

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have oregano that is so invasive that it choked out mint!
I mow the entire patch and it is such a fragrant mowing experience.
It's in an area of lawn that isn't important so I'll continue to be entertained with scented mowing!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
freshfood said:
I think it's spreading by runners, or when stems rest on the dirt, they root themselves and grow. I hate to cut off all the flowers because the bees love them. Can I let it flower but cut them before they go to seed? :tools

I've been trying to give away shovelfuls - everyone I can find who wants it, has some now. I don't have much luck drying it, as my house is extremely dusty and by the time it's dry, it's covered in dust. I tried cheesecloth over it but the dry herbs stuck to the cheesecloth and it was hard to detatch the herbs without creating a shower of dust in the process. :idunno

I've resorted to freezing my herbs, which isn't the best way to give it as gifts! Does anyone have suggestions for keeping it clean while it dries?

Does anyone want some oregano??!!:bow
Here is my mother's way to dry out herbs. (Mind you she is still in TX where it gets hot.) Roll down your back two windows in your car and stick a wooden dowell in them and roll them back up to create a weed drying rack. Hang your weeds in the car until they dry or until your daughter has been teased to death by her friends when she gets dropped off at school. (My best friend still calls my mom "Weed Mama" 25 yearl later! :lol:)

She also used to just lay it out on paper towels on the dash.

Latest posts