Oregon, Willamette Valley, Cascade Foothills

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you! I love this little Nikon camera. It is very forgiving. With the photo-manipulation programs, it becomes fool-proof.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cold! It's not bad! It's about 5 warmer than up here north of Seattle, and gets scorching hot in summers! I nearly die in 80 deg weather! 50 deg! Time to break out shorts!

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:gig Love your sig. Do chickens eat fire ants? Maybe we can get them listed as a new category of livestock.

And what is a Chinese Tallow Tree?

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, unfortunately chickens don't eat fireants - the only way we can control them is through the use of Amdro or Spectracide - then they mostly just move around because it never really kills all of them.

The Chinese tallow is a fast-growing weedy tree that is on the Texas Toxic plant list - they reseed thmselves and the birds spread the seeds too. They are literally EVERYWHERE on our property. If you don't get the complete root when pulling it up (sometimes up to 10-12 feet long) then a new tree sprouts from the little tiny piece of root left. I'll take pictures of some of ours when they begin sprouting again in the spring - because we won't have them tamed by then!! Until then, check out this page - some people actually plant them as ornamentals in other states. (btw: they are toxic to cattle)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/105293/

hollybird

Sprout
Reaction score
i am from lebanon and have an admitted gardening addiction. we are very mild here about 8b. i have things like honey fig and muscadaines. always ready for new or old open pollinated veggies. will be happy to trade.