organic fertilizer

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on using
10-10-10 or Miracle Grow organic fertilizer?
I have been doing everything organic so far and checked out the ferilizer for the vegetable and flower gardens.
The triple 10 has 10 percent of nitrogen,phosphate and potash.
Miracle Grow is the organic but only has 4 percent and less of each ingredient.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I personally like the Espoma line of fertilizers. Plantone is their general purpose fertilizer, that's what I'd use. You can find it just about anywhere around us.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most any organic fertilizer is going to have lower numbers (less concentrated nutrients) than non organic fertilizers, AFAIK. It's just the nature of the beast. (Well, with the possible exception of straight blood meal or bone meal perhaps - I do not offhand remember the #s on them).

I can't really offer an intelligent opinion on what you should use, as I virtually never fertilize per se (I am big on topdressing compost in the spring and fall, though). In the rare instances when I do, I just say the heck with it and glurk out some of the Miracle Gro that I keep around for houseplants and seedlings, and I don't mean the organic kind either :p

(Well ok so I put bonemeal in planting holes, too, for woody plants, but that doesn't really count)

Good luck,

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I too topdress with compost like Pat does but if I do ever need to fertilize I use the Espoma line as well. They have a very good selection of products and are readily available.

Good luck

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the advice. I know most of you know that this is my first year with vegetable gardens. I filled all of the beds with a 50- 50 mix of loam and compost and everything is growing extremely well. I am very pleased so far. The reason why I asked about the fertilizer is that a person at the garden center had told me when I bought the tomato plants that I should use 10-10-10 on them. But when I decided to get some yesterday I realized that it wasn't organic and am doing my best to to adhere to organic. I did check out the link to the Epsoma products and it looks like great stuff. I will buy some to keep on hand and see if and when I need it. I thought it was automatic because of what the previous advice I was given but maybe I don't even need it right now.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With brand new soil like that you probably won't need to add anything. Compost is always good, so plan on topdressing with compost if you have access to any.

Latest posts