Our best crop was weeds!

earlybird10842

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As a beginning gardener, I sometimes can't tell what is a carrot and what is that pesky look-alike weed, what is a cilantro sprout, and what is a weed sprout. Are there any genral rules of thumb that can tell me what is what? Thanks!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Earlybird! :frow
I don't know of any rules of thumb, but if there are some I'm sure somebody will speak up.

How about planting some seeds in a small yogurt cup ( or whatever works ) in potting soil indoors at the same time that you sow your seeds outdoors. Then you can compare the seedlings leaves.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is something you can do if there are lots of weed seed in your garden soil - be patient.

Here is what I mean: If we hurry out into the garden before the weeds have emerged to sow our seeds, they are likely to show up at the same time as the weeds. Or, they will be a few days late and the weeds will really have "the jump on 'em!" It would be much better if our plants have the jump on the weeds.

For what will be small seedlings and especially those that you aren't real familiar with and just to get a good lot of those pesky weeds outta there - be patient. Allow the weed seedlings to show up and rake them off the soil surface, gently. Turning up the soil with another batch of weed seed isn't a good idea but a gentle raking can kill thousand of weed seedlings in just a few minutes. You may need to be back in 3 or 4 days to do it again. Then, sow your garden seeds.

Broad-casting seed probably isn't a good idea if you may not recognize what comes up. Put them into rows and mark the ends of the rows. Even if this is a bed and there will be a number of different varieties in there, you can keep them in rows. Marked stakes can identify what you've got in there.

Next, it isn't necessary to know every.single.weed that might show up in your garden. That may take several years of research! If you recognize the plants that you want to grow, you will be prepared to protect them from all others. Here are some photographs that should help with that:

Pictures of Vegetable Seedlings (click)

I hope that helps. And, Welcome to the Forums :)!

Steve

earlybird10842

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! My biggest problem was some kind of weed that looked like a carrot top.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That weed that looks like a carrot top sounds like Queen Anne's Lace. It is a relative of wild carrots, and it draws beneficial insects into the garden. Of course, it can be a nuisance if it's in the wrong place, but it has it's merits.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, that can be tough.

If it is, then it is something very much like what you are trying to grow, Earlybird.

You mentioned cilantro. Cilantro and carrot and Queen Ann's Lace are in the Apiaceae Family. Now, whattya gonna do? Well, just do the best you can. Try to kill the weeds earliest, during and last. Never let them flower and go to seed.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it's hard to pull up, it's a weed. If you accidently pull it up by breathing on it, it's something you planted. If you hoe it off and it grows right back, it's a weed. If it sees you with a hoe in your hand and keels over dead, it's something you planted.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, what So lucky said. :lol:

Also, cilantro STINKS. :sick But I still like to cook with it from time to time. Just can't bear to walk past it in the garden.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Yeah, what So lucky said. :lol:

Also, cilantro STINKS. :sick But I still like to cook with it from time to time. Just can't bear to walk past it in the garden.
Over on the SS forum, there was a discussion a while back about cilantro. Seems if you like it, you really like it; if you don't like it, it smells like bug killer or kerosene. We are two distinct groups of people. I'm one of those that can't stand it. One of my friends could eat bunches of it by itself. Yuck! Someone needs to do a scientific study on this. Where do we apply for a grant? :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live a sheltered life. Except for being out under the open sky . . .

It may not have been until I was well into my 20's that I first recognized cilantro. Still, that can't be true because I was enjoying candy flavored with coriander as a kid. We'd "go into town" for trick or treatin' and bring back our paper bags from the nearest, more prosperous, urban community. There were the hard little translucent purple ones I liked and the odd little squares of what we knew as rice candy but with a flavor that I just associated with something very sweet.

Later, I evolved into a pipe-smoking, beer-drinking college student. As my tastes became a little sophisticated, I realized that the Carter Hall in my pipe and the best European beer I could afford for holidays, were flavored like those Halloween candies of my childhood. Coriander. It is even part of the recipe for a good, lean, smoked bacon!

Cilantro was probably in those Asian dinners along with the bok choy that I flat knew nothing about until I could actually see it growing in the garden. It was in most all of the South-of-the-Border dishes that I hungered for whenever I'd pass thru the doors of a Mexican restaurant. When I did discover cilantro, it was already an appetite stimulant - I'd probably be willing to follow anyone carrying a bunch of cilantro.

Odd flavor? I suppose I understand why some don't like it. I wouldn't even think to go so far as describe it as something not to be found in a kitchen, however. It must smell like dish soap to some. A lemon-scented dish soap . . . yeh, I guess so. I like it chopped fresh in a taco or sprinkled on an Asian salad.

Steve

Latest posts