Our son is doing a landscaping project

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The woman's son was over and mentioned that she wants a Japanese Maple in her front yard in zone 5/4. Japanese maples are borderline hardy here -- some varieties have to stick to zone 6 and above.
I have found that Japanese maples do well on the North side, but seem to have more winter die-back on the other sides unless well protected.

Anyone have comments for or against putting one on the south side of a house? I suggested a few other plants that have the same coloring but might do better such as Black Lace elderberry, Plum Passion red-leaved hydrangea, or even a Royal Purple smoke tree.

Any other suggestions for a smaller tree in this situation?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about 10 Japanese maples all weeping all purchased end of season clearance. I am in zone 6/5 But the last 2 winters where brutal. All lived, I only last year planted some green ones ( I love red trees ) They are in full sun ( which all my JM are) seem to sun burn much easier then the red. Not sure if that will change once established. They can be pricier then most trees. There are always ads on Cl for JM people want to sell ,usually for thousands and you need to dig up and fill hole, don't know if anyone ever sells them. If the people really want one, and your at zone limit, I would ask them to sign a release your son not responsible if tree doesn't live. I don't think I have paid over $20 for any of mine.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is it the leaf shape? The overall shape they tend have? The color? Just trying to think if they have a specific feature in mind if there is an alternative with the same feature.

Maybe you can find a good alternative such as Malus sargentti 'Tina' with it's horizontal branches it could be easily pruned into more of a bonsai look. Plus it's very pretty in bloom and a lot more forgiving than a Japanese maple.

If they want the color there are plenty of red leaf trees that don't get huge. Flowering plum comes to mind but there are a lot of options.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @Jared77. The woman has a Japanese maple that she loves in her back yard. She wants one in the front yard as well. Her son said she wanted another lacy, cut-leaf variety. I know the garden center she paid to layout her landscaping project didn't put a JM into the plan despite her specific request. In fact, her complaint was that the store didn't take any of her suggestions when planning the plantings. That's why she asked our son if he'd do the work for her.

I know there are many options with a better chance of success. There are so many new varieties of weeping trees and so many red or purple leafed trees that don't grow really tall. I hope I can help her with her choices. It sounds like a fun project.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if they did or not. She's lived in this area since our sons were in grade school so I suspect she has some idea of what can be grown here.