OVER NIGHT TOMATOES

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was watering plants in the green house this afternoon and noticed about 25 tiny brand new tomatoes on my plants.
I've been checking everyday and I had plenty of blossoms but no developing fruit, well that all changed today.
I should have ripe ones by July 4th.....I hope!!!

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you leaving them in containers for the season, Rich?

My plants are all just out in the garden and we are having thunderstorms! Hopefully, no hail ...

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The ones in the green house are staying in containers, probably about 20 or so plants, which are way ahead of those planted in the garden.
The ones in the garden have a bunch of blooms but no set tomatoes...yet. They'll probably be about 2 weeks behind the green house ones.
Another thing the ones in container have over the garden planted is the fact they are planted in straight composted chicken and donkey manure!!!

THANX RICH

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I read that the NWS records show that May was the driest month on record in our area since 1860. That of course means more sunshine, which translates to more heat in the greenhouse; which also means faster growth. The plants have grown to the limit of the side supports, that gives me the dilemma of whether to remove the growing tips, or let them grow to the peak of the greenhouse. Removing the tips will transfer the energy back to the fruit, but reduce the number of fruit. I decided to see just how much fruit I can get, as it is still very early in the season, so I have strung bailing twine to the peak of the greenhouse to support the plants. The cucumbers have a good crop of small fruit, so pickling season is not far off; they are already on their way to the peak of the greenhouse. Soon it will necessary to stoop to get into the greenhouse, but Ava will not have that problem. ;)
jackb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow!

No wonder you are ahead of Texas, Jack! I just saw that the state had a record amount of May rain. Austin received over 17" for the month. I think I may be content with that for 2015 and the entire 12 months.

My tomatoes look pretty bad. I got them out in time for some wind and hailstorms. What seems to be happy with them right now are some fat fleabeetles. Not as many as earlier since me checking each plant resulted in the slower beetles now serving as plant food.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had flea beetles too...dusted them with some sweet lime and it seems to have resolved the issue, but time will tell. I think my tomatoes attracted pests because they were mineral deficient, due to me not providing the best growing medium for seedlings this year. Live and learn.

Maybe next time I'll do better.