Overcoming Cool Nights & First Frosts

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
pepper in the greenhouse.jpg
in the greenhouse

I didn't plant this skinny bed last October. It's near the outside, difficult to cover, so it's real cold over the winter. The bed in the center of the greenhouse is warmer and easy to cover ... sort of. Anyway, maybe I can keep the peppers going awhile into the fall and they won't be in the way of plants better suited for an unheated winter greenhouse.

They will have plenty of summer heat! Please tell me I won't mess up and forget to water them!

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are going to be overrun with peppers when those start putting out. What varieties do you have planted. Last year was our first year trying to grow in greenhouse and peppers grew the best.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never done this, @Collector . There was a tomato plant or 2 in there a few years ago. It grew pretty large so I tried to pay some attention to it and it produced fairly well. Last year, there were potted ginger plants in there and that was okay - okay with the ginger which must like it hot! Trying that again this year ;). The problem is paying enough attention to them to keep them watered. The greenhouse is mostly just opened up and could be ignored ... if there wasn't something green in there that needs attention.

The peppers, have been around many years in the open garden. They are the little guys and do as well as I can expect but ... then I read how much better peppers do in other parts of the country, including some that I wouldn't even think about trying to grow. It would be great if they had a better chance. They were in large pots near the back door 2 years ago. That's not such a wonderful place for sunlovers - it's too shady. So, they are in the greenhouse.

Thai Hot, Thai Dragon and Super Chili -- sunlovers for hot & spicy! Yes, @Gardening with Rabbits - about a foot. But then, don't you know, there are some places where peppers grow to be 5' tall bushes.

Steve ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20170720_202659.jpg

They are growing but where are the flowers?

Beyond this Thai Dragon of unusual early size, there are Thai Hot. A few flowers but plenty of flowers and fruit set in the garden plants. Keeping them watered. I know that they went in late but thought that more overnight warmth was all they needed. As I suggested in @catjac1975 's thread, maybe they are getting too much daytime heat.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 20891

They are growing but where are the flowers?

Beyond this Thai Dragon of unusual early size, there are Thai Hot. A few flowers but plenty of flowers and fruit set in the garden plants. Keeping them watered. I know that they went in late but thought that more overnight warmth was all they needed. As I suggested in @catjac1975 's thread, maybe they are getting too much daytime heat.

Steve
I have found a couple peppers all of a sudden.. Had a lovely sweet one inn my garden salad.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
How close to you plant your peppers? I usually space a foot, but this year, I have some a lot closer and now wonder if the foot apart is just wasted space.
I planted all of my peppers, Sweet Bell, Sweet Hungarian and jalepano about 3 ft apart. I notice that they sprawl, so I use cheapo tomato cages for all of my peppers, and it has helped protect them from my dog chasing something AND from me. They will spill over the tops and I will soon be brushing past one while I harvest another.
I think if they are planted one foot apart you will have trouble finding the peppers to harvest, especially if you are looking for a green one.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted all of my peppers, Sweet Bell, Sweet Hungarian and jalepano about 3 ft apart. I notice that they sprawl, so I use cheapo tomato cages for all of my peppers, and it has helped protect them from my dog chasing something AND from me. They will spill over the tops and I will soon be brushing past one while I harvest another.
I think if they are planted one foot apart you will have trouble finding the peppers to harvest, especially if you are looking for a green one.
I will definitely change my spacing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20170815_162039815_HDR.jpg
i don't know if I can say that this is working or not ...

Planting this Thai Dragon near the door wasn't the best idea since the other plants are smaller and would be easier to squeeze past. This thing grew!

All of the plants made more growth in the greenhouse. However, there aren't many fruit that has set. It's cooking in here!

The outdoor plants are doing well. The 2017 season is kinda progressing as a good pepper year and going to this extra bother ... well, how was I to know?!

! Steve !
:)

Latest posts