Overwintered Geraniums

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every spring I spend a small fortune on geraniums. They seem the only flower that can handle Dry sun. This fall I dug up 20 removed soil from roots and stored in brown paper bag. Some time in Feb I soaked their roots for about 1 hour then back in the bag when dried. 3 days ago I potted up the dead looking plants. Today half of them have green growth :weee:weee:weee:weee:ya:ya:ya:woot:woot:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:clap:clap

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah! That will save you a bundle! I overwintered mine as well. They've been in constant bloom since Christmas and still going strong. Mine were started in large containers and both of them were brought inside that way.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job! That's the same method I used for a clients geraniums every year. A good way to save some dollars. :)
They'll come back strong and be beautiful all summer.

We found that by the third year they were not as vigorous and it was time to buy fresh stock.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, not Ivy geraniums. I suspect that they are a little less robust than the regular pelargoniums. But maybe yours just need a bit more time.
What do the stems look like? Are they still somewhat plump, or dry and shriveled?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, they do get pretty ugly when they go dormant. Sometimes though, even when they are totally dried out, the area closest to the root is still alive and will sprout.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have heard of doing this. I have a greenhouse so I just cut them back hard and they stay all winter. I think I will try this on a few next year....Thanks..

Latest posts