Overwintering Dahlias

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was waiting for tops to die back from frost. We finally got a frost, a few days later I aked one of my guys to dig up the roots. I didn't tell him to bring roots inside. He left them outside where they got covered in a early snow fall. Should I even try save frozen roots or just toss them ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy!

Several years ago, I had the dahlia roots in the bed of the pickup. It was likely to freeze that night but I was tired. Besides, the pickup had a canopy.

After leaving them overnight, the bottom layer (against the steel of the bed) was ruined by the frost. Shoot, it didn't seem like it should have done that. But, it did.

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never dug up my Dhalia's I just covered them with leaves and left them in the ground. They always come back

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that covering and leaving them can be okay in southern Oregon.

That would be about: 43°North and 500 feet elevation. Found it as zone 8b ...

It would probably be best to lift them there but if storage conditions were poor, no.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leaving them in the ground is just not something folks like Nyboy and I can do in our Northern climates. At least not until global warming works its magic on Northern New York and South-est, central-est Wisconsin.

Latest posts