Ow ow my back, but good news!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I planted what hopefully will be the last set of apple trees to go into the orchard for a long, long time. Five apples, two sweet cherries, and two pawpaws, plus a grapevine in the corner that will be trained onto the fence. Then I put in three new Invicta gooseberries and put up rabbit fencing around them so DH won't "accidentally" mow them (well, not without hurting the mower). I put down straw in the muddy bits where the dogs like to turn into mud monsters. I even developed a new digging technique: Take one large, enthusiastic dog. Use a trowel to dibble a little hole in the spot where you plan to plant a large-ish tree. Put treat in hole and cover in a little dirt. Bring large dog to hole, and watch dog dig a GIANT hole, eat the treat, then dig an even bigger hole in case there were more treats laying around. Plant tree, fill in. It almost works, after the third try.

Finally, I took the burlap wrapping off the trees, as it's predicted to stay fairly non-freezing-ish for the next couple weeks. This may have been overoptimistic in retrospect, but done is done. And when I took the burlap wrapping off the mature, 6-year-old Spitzenberg, what did I see?

Two good branches full of fruiting spurs, just barely starting to turn color and puff a bit.

I have been waiting and WAITING for EVER for this tree to produce so much as a single blossom. I never had to pinch anything off, because it never produced any flowers as a young tree. I thought there was something horribly wrong with it, even though all the trees around it seemed fine, the leaves looked great, it was growing nicely spread branches and didn't even need any staking or fussing. But with any luck, this year I can eat Spitzenberg apples.

It's going to be pure torture until then, isn't it?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awesome for you Rosalind, its always nice when you accomplish so much planting.
I like the idea with the dogs.
Planting trees is the most labor intensive of all the plantings you do, digging those huge holes....
We have alot of huge rocks when you go down deep enough to plant a tree or shrub and its a major project removing those rocks and disposing of them each time.
I just told my husband yesterday of my plans to plant shrubs along an 80 foot section of fence and the first thing he said is what are you going to do with all those rocks?
I just prepped 3 new huge garden areas but haven't even thought about all that planting yet. :p
Good for you!
By the way, I think I read that you planted your potatoes already ( if not then please excuse this question)and I was wondering about planting mine next week but was wondering about the cold.
I had ordered them and put the requested delivery date for last week but they left me a message the other day that they were afraid of some cold spell in Denver and didn't want the potatoes to freeze so they are holding off delivery until this Monday.
Do you think it would be fine to plant them in our area next week?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think potatoes should be fine. I already put most of mine out. I normally plant them in a fairly deep trench so I don't have to do so much heaping-up and mulching, maybe that's why mine don't freeze? They've got at least 6" of compost and chicken litter on top of them, plus whatever is laying around in the way of dead leaves and dirty barn straw. They've always been fine. I have even had several winter over from missing a few at harvest time, they come up great despite my neglect. I normally plant at least Purple Peruvian and Cranberry Red, and then whatever potatoes I have in the pantry that sprouted, but I have had German Butterballs and Viking Purples winter over also. I suppose it may vary by potato type, but so far, knock on wood...

:lol: about the rocks...DH says, "build a rock garden!" Yeah, as long as he doesn't have to dig the holes. Would you believe I never owned a pry bar for rocks until I moved to Massachusetts, and when my handyman brought one over for installing a fence, I nearly widdled my pants thinking, "holy smokes, I've hired Vlad The Impaler!" When I was a kid, farmers would use the rocks dug out of the fields to build entire buildings with--you go to PA, you see a lot of fieldstone farmhouses and barns for that reason. Not sure why that kill-two-birds-w/200,000-stones idea never caught on in New England though, we'd have had the first skyscraper built out of granite fieldstone, for sure. :hu

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh yes the pry bar, can't live without one here if we want to plant anything deeper than a couple of inches.
Its funny about the rock garden, I have borders around a few flower beds made with all the rocks we have dug up over the years.
You are right about the buildings, walls and all that stuff farmers have made with the rocks, they look nice too.
I go by the quarries and see that they sell rocks and I am like who the heck in this town would need to buy rocks.
I can see them selling all the other types of stuff but these plain old round rocks, its kind of ironic.
I guess it could be people who don't dig in their backyards and never made the discovery, it would be funny one day if they did after buying a couple of tons of rocks.

Thanks for the tips on the potatoes, I ordered the Purple Peruvians, Cranberry Red and the German Butterballs too among some others that I want to try.
I got my order late last year due to Ronnigers losing it but I put them in early and requested an early delivery date too just in case anything screwy happens again.
I am trying sweet potatoes this year too, not sure how they will do but I figured I would try them at least once to see.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My driveway was washing out with every heavy rain. After I finished planting my 24 fruit and nut trees, I had a nice rock pile(will not call it a wall) on the downstream side that stopped the washing.

Latest posts