Paper wasps?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A giant paper wasp nest , bigger than a basketball, is swinging in the 60 mile an hour wind. Do not want to be around when it falls.
CAT_2013 (1).jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
White faced black hornets are what they are here. LOVE THEM! They eat other wasps and don't bother humans.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have the bald faced black hornets also and I leave them. They aren't aggressive, but have bounced off my head as a warning when I let a rake fall against the horse shed wall where they have a nest. They don't bother the animals like yellow jackets do.

This is what their nests look like.

baldfaced_hornet_nest_9509tk.jpg

We also have a lot of paper wasps, and they are aggressive. I generally leave them be, but do kill the ones that nest on the house. They are beneficial also, but not as pleasant to have around.
This is what their nests look like around here.

images

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they the same insect? I thought they were different. But the nests are similar.

Wasps and hornets are different, wasps have a tiny waist, hornets are more chunky. but both are in the same family. They do pollinate.

Everything I read says hornets are more aggressive than wasps, but at least around here, the paper wasps are much more aggressive than the Baldfaced hornets we have.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The worst attacks I have had are from unknowingly disturbing paper wasps hiding in my veggie garden, and stepping on an in the ground nest-I think yellow jackets.

Latest posts