Part of My Job I Hate

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
From a small kid i always loved dogs and wanted to work with them. I am very lucky that I am able to. Long days, few days off, back breaking at times, stressful, never know when a emergency will pop up. But I do love my work, and it provides for me well. The part I hate is when people with, old dogs ask me when is the time to put them down. Very few dogs died peacefully in their sleep. My standard answer is when your dog stops eating they are telling you it is time. Unfortunately that doesn't always work. Today I had a woman bring in her ancient dog wanting my opinion. The arthritis in back legs was so bad the dog could not stand never mind walk. But when food was held in front of her would eat. The owner is battling breast cancer, how do you say it is time to let go your dog. I told her only she can make the decision, but don't keep the dog breathing as long as possible.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not understand how the host can to put them down a dog due to old age, if she goes again. It is part of the family.
Yes, my dog saw bad, but it's not scary in 15 years. We took care of it. 3 days before her death, she was playing with his favorite toy. For 2 days - she looked at me for a long time. And just one day before her death, she stopped eating.
But arthritis - it is probably very difficult for an old dog. I do not know, but maybe I would to put them down her out of pity that she did not suffer.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would think they could tell if the "quality of life" is measured for their dog's sake or for their own. Once they are asking others, it usually means they already know the correct answer in their heart/head and are hoping someone else will offer them straws (and excuses).

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thinking back, I've never had to make that decision. When my ancient "Bucky" had a stroke, I watched carefully for signs that he was in pain but except for a couple of weeks when he needed help to get up and down stairs -- simply because he'd forgotten how -- he still had the tail in the air/head down puppy-play attitude. Then one day he walked away into the woods. It was much later when we found his pelt.

The same with Timbra. Cindy was stolen (4th and final time), my second Irish Setter was hit by a car, and Cee Cee is still as happy as ever -- or at least as happy as her current bout of sinus infection will allow. Not many dogs over the years and none that didn't take care of the issue for me, I guess.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy I hear you. In this household, I have to make that call and then am the "heartless one" for a week or two. As the "kind" ones, they would allow the animal to suffer. Don't get me started..... Off of soap box.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is very sad when the vet tells you that your best friend has cancer, yes they can save them but it's only gong to be temporary, best guess would be that the operation will extend their life by 6 mouths, what a hard decision. sat down both times with autumn and radar till their last breath at the vets, loaded them up took them to the pet crematory. did not have the heart to have them tossed into the land fill or buried outside on the property, made sure they had a warm place to rest..

041.JPG

will do the same for ava and nola when that time comes.......sniff sniff

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Given a fine resting place back home on the property, that's what I want, what Spouse wanted, and what we've done for each of our beloved pets. Remembrance plants enhance their final resting place.

Glad I never had to bury a horse or cow, but would have.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe the last gift we give our pets is a quick and peaceful end.Wish we could do the same for people we love, but thats another can of worms

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our pets are part of our family and the ones we've had have lived a long happy life with us with the exception of our kitty Dusty when she got sick we did everything we could to get her well again, even exploratory surgery, the vet phoned while she was still under, they did a biopsy and found a very aggressive cancer. Our vet wanted to know what we wanted to do, there was treatment to keep her going for awhile. I thought how cruel, no don't bring her out of the anesthetic to suffer any more pain, let her go. We brought her back home and buried her in a place where she will never be dug up.
We brought a surgeon over from the mainland for our dobie age 11, after tests it was found she had wobblers, yes there was an operation that could help keep her going but she was just about at the age that most dobies live to, so we let her go.

It's so tough when you have to let go of a cherished pet but if they are going to suffer, it's just not fair to keep them going, one more thing in life you just have to suck up and deal with.
One of the very first kitties I had after we were married lived to be 18, One night she came over to me, sat at my feet looking at me for a couple of minutes, then jumped into my lap, curled up, purred for a few more minutes, gave a sigh and passed away, I was so grateful I didn't have to have her put to sleep.

Annette

Latest posts