Peach Tree help

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have this lovely Peach Tree, at least to Look at. I think it is about 7yo, forgot when I planted it. 4 years ago I got no fruit, maybe late frost. 3 years ago I got about 15 gorgeous and delicious peaches. 2 years ago, there were about the same amount of fruit, some teenagers were wandering the neighborhood dumping over garbage cans looking for receipts with credit card #'s, or so the police report said. I'm sure that they also stole my fruit. I was looking at it, thinking to harvest "tomorrow." VERY NEXT day, ALL were gone, and all critters that eat them would have left stones and evidence. There was none.
LAST year 2019, No fruit.
This year, I saw 1 blossom.
I planted this tree north of a row of tall pine trees, but I have raised their crowns and it gets plenty of sun throughout the day.
What gives? Any ideas? I'm thinking of treating this tree to my chainsaw and starting over. If I wanted an understory tree there, they are other options. It was a box store buy.
I doubt it is deer. A deer would have to jump several fences and would feel trapped there. Also, my dogs would be barking furiously. Eva, I think, has chased a deer before, but not as near the street as this tree lives.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it sure hurts when someone steals your fruits like that. :(

do you have room you can move it someplace else?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I have Room, but it is 15 ft tall now, and the trunk is about 8 inches wide, too big to move.
I may still take down the aging apple tree and replace it with a peach tree, even though it is begging me to keep it. It has about 50 blossoms this spring.
I fertilized this tree 2 years ago. Guess I'll take a look at it this afternoon. Been so chilly horses stayed inside yesterday when it absolutely poured and puddled. VERY windy today, gotta turn them out soon. I am home with my dog, Pyg, who is recovering from front leg amputation this week and next.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought the tag said it was zoned for here, but now, LONG after I threw That away, I am wondering. Believe it or not, I once looked at a local box store garden center and found a rose hardy for zone 10!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it is that big i'd not remove it. eventually it may give a crop and it doesn't cost anything to leave it alone?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last few years have been hard on peach trees. Mine bears every other year.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been puzzled by my two peach trees too. I replaced two of my dad's old old old peach trees 5 years ago. The new peach trees rooted very well the first year and we're very healthy. The second spring they both had a bazillion blooms and by the middle of July I had to pick some green peaches and prop up branches with 2x4s to keep branches from breaking. I harvested three and a half bushels of beautiful preaches. For the next two years no blooms and no fruit. This past spring one tree bloomed and the other didn't. Now I have maybe 100 peaches. A bit small and I just noticed that more than half of them have some kind of blight!!! Very frustrating. I must admit that I missed one spray date in June but I did spray in April, May and July. Any advise would be welcome.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oops, I almost forgot. 20200807_115501.jpg20200807_115405.jpg

Latest posts