, Peaches

Dodgegal79

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So I canned my first batch of peaches ever, and they look good but there is a lot of space between the bottom of the jar and the peaches. They have all floated up to the top. I hot-packed them, and I crammed as much as I could in there. Is this ok or did I do something wrong? Will it affect them and can I avoid this next time? Thanks margaret

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine ALWAYS float. Over time they will fall somewhat. As long as your lids seal they are fine.

If anyone knows a trick to keep them from floating I would love to hear it.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Only way I know is to can them as halves, and arrange the halves neatly in these sort of spiral shapes so that all the pit sides of the halves are facing down. It's a little hard to explain unless you've seen it in real life, and I didn't do any peaches this year. Obviously you'd have to cold-pack and process a while, I forget how long.

Also I believe the type of peach matters, you want one that isn't especially tender or juicy. "Contender" is a good canning one. Lots of the peaches you can buy are for eating more than canning.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my rgandmother boils them in the pot first then fills the jars, if you fit them in good theres not alot of extra room.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have only seen one fail safe way to keep them on the bottom.

Turn the jar upside down! :lol:

Mine have a space too, but I do have to agree that the halves of peaches help to fill more than the whole does. I seem to be able to get and keep the jar more full appearing that way.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. Mine have space too. Don't worry about it. They seem to do that no matter if you slice them or half them when you can them.

Dodgegal79

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I was worried. I know I didn't process them long enough, but they did seal, I was suppose to do them another 10 minutes being my altitude is high. Should I do them again??

I too was going to turn them upside down. :lol: It just looks better.

Latest posts