Pear tree question

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have one single pear tree on my property. We moved here 3 yrs ago, it's my in-laws place and my FIL told me he planted two trees years ago and one died right away. He never bothered to plant another.

The pear tree bears fruit but it doesn't ripen. Why? I've read and been told (by FIL) that pears need two trees to pollinate. So why does this tree bear fruit? Do the pears not ripen due to not having another tree or could I pick those pears and let them ripen in the cellar?

kevs-chickadees

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Some pear trees are self fertile and some are not. If its bearing fruit I'd say it's self fertile. As far as being ripe, I think most pears need picked and then stored indoors to let them ripen. ?????

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
kevs-chickadees said:
Some pear trees are self fertile and some are not. If its bearing fruit I'd say it's self fertile. As far as being ripe, I think most pears need picked and then stored indoors to let them ripen. ?????
I read that ..........somewhere. I think this year I will pick and store in my cellar to see if they will ripen. I just have to make sure FIL isn't looking. :rolleyes:

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My pears don't ripen on the tree. They are crispy and sweet, like an apple, when first picked. After I bring them inside the soften up and get even sweeter. I like to dehydrate them while they're still crisp and make pearsauce when the get softer.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if there are still fruits growing but they don't drop off before they are full size they probably just need to be picked and ripened off the tree at the end of the season. some pears can take a few weeks to fully ripen once picked. if the pears are starting to form but don't get larger than a golf ball and then drop you might want to get another variety to cross with your pear. or check to see if it has any issues with disease.

this site might help you if you know the type of pear your parents own and if it should be self pollinating or if it needs something else growing with it. http://www.pots2plots.com/Fruit/Pear Cultivars.htm

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Post some photos of the bark and leaves and then the fruit once it starts to form... maybe someone can help you figure out what variety you have.

I have a pear tree here and it has a companion Bradford pear for pollination. The Bradford flowers earlier and doesn't produce edible fruit (just little tiny things.) Maybe one of those would help your tree.

-Wendy

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
Post some photos of the bark and leaves and then the fruit once it starts to form... maybe someone can help you figure out what variety you have.

I have a pear tree here and it has a companion Bradford pear for pollination. The Bradford flowers earlier and doesn't produce edible fruit (just little tiny things.) Maybe one of those would help your tree.

-Wendy
That's a great idea Wendy, I'll take a pic when I get some flowering.

thanks to all of you for the advice. I was thinking I wouldn't get fruit if I needed another tree. From what I can remember the friut as a medium size. I've got my eye on that tree this year. :tools

Latest posts