1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Peeks At Spring

Discussion in 'Flowers & Roses' started by Smart Red, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Mar 22, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

I'm about a week late, but here are my first flowers:
    crocus first yellow.JPG
    These crocus -- there are more colors to follow -- were planted on the house side of my greenhouse before we moved it. DH spread over half a foot of soil over the ground to bring the floor (now patio) to ground level. I didn't really expect these to make it through the added soil, but nature is great and plants will do what they need to survive if they can.

My earliest seedlings are off and running -- sort of -- at least some of them are up already.
    tomato & morning glories.JPG
    The package labels said morning glories are slow to germinate and need soaking or scratching on the covering first. HAH! These eager vines were up in a mere three days. I'll be needing to transplant them well before planting outside is possible. Oh, well, I should get early flowers from the red, blue, and split color varieties.

The first 4 rows are tomatos. Nary a peep out of them yet. You can see a few of the chickens outside the sun room enjoying the spring weather and green grass.

baymule, Beekissed, Larisa and 2 others like this.
  2. Mar 22, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

This is last year's photo, but here's where the crocus are growing. With the greenhouse gone, I intend to use the floor for a patio where the picnic table will be placed. I am dreadfully tired of trying to move that hulking thing every time I mow. Now I can just mow around it!
    greenhouse gone.JPG
    The crocuses are blooming to the bottom of the photo although the ground has been filled in level with the floor, hyacinth leaves are popping up along the right edge of the floor, also through a lot of added soil there as well. My peonies will need moving as they line the left edge, but the move is not urgent until we start the shade covering.

What spouse is attacking is an experiment in Bonsai gone awry. I planted the potted evergreens along the north side until I had a suitable spot for them to grow. Never happened! By this time, the ten foot (and better) tall trees had outgrown their pots and grown deep, large roots for Clayton to dig out.

Son says we'll build a pergola over the patio for sun protection. The table had been sitting in the shade of some big old burr oaks.

3. Mar 22, 2016
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

Hyacynth in snow.jpg
    The last of the snow I hope, Hyacinth did not seem to mind.

baymule, ducks4you, Beekissed and 4 others like this.
  4. Mar 22, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

Way ahead of mine, but pretty. I love those flowers! I could lay beside them (downwind) just enjoying their aroma until the cows come home.

5. Mar 22, 2016
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

6. Mar 23, 2016
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

That one should be a POW...that's how it looks here this season, with flowers in the snow. :gig

catjac1975 likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2016
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Looks a little wild, but here is what's growing now in my front yard.
    [​IMG]
    Magnolia, after several hard freezes...not too bad.
    [​IMG]
    Yellow with red striped tulips and one of my blue creeping phlox, in full bloom
    [​IMG]
    Both creeping phlox on each side of the sidewalk and I don't remember which iris are growing there. I accidentally dug up the iris a couple of years ago, and when they didn't bloom the next year, I didn't know whether they were this:
    http://orig11.deviantart.net/f293/f...h_white_stripes_iris_by_jamdebris-d38n4k0.jpg
    (NOT my photo)
    or this:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Iris_'Paint_in_Black'_02.jpg
    (again, NOT my photo)
    Couldn't be any other type, but I'm thinking about getting some other colors.

8. Apr 19, 2016
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I like the old slate walk ways so much better then cement!! I remember as a kid the city we lived in replace all the slate side walks with cement, at the time it seemed very modern. Now there are just ugly.

ducks4you likes this.
  9. Apr 26, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

Here are a few more early flowering delights. Grape hyacinths: Grape hyacinths.JPG

Shirley tulips: I don't care for the name (first spouse -- long gone before we met) but they are lovely and dependable bloomers. Tulips Shirley.JPG