Peeks At Spring

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm about a week late, but here are my first flowers:
crocus first yellow.JPG

These crocus -- there are more colors to follow -- were planted on the house side of my greenhouse before we moved it. DH spread over half a foot of soil over the ground to bring the floor (now patio) to ground level. I didn't really expect these to make it through the added soil, but nature is great and plants will do what they need to survive if they can.

My earliest seedlings are off and running -- sort of -- at least some of them are up already.
tomato & morning glories.JPG

The package labels said morning glories are slow to germinate and need soaking or scratching on the covering first. HAH! These eager vines were up in a mere three days. I'll be needing to transplant them well before planting outside is possible. Oh, well, I should get early flowers from the red, blue, and split color varieties.

The first 4 rows are tomatos. Nary a peep out of them yet. You can see a few of the chickens outside the sun room enjoying the spring weather and green grass.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is last year's photo, but here's where the crocus are growing. With the greenhouse gone, I intend to use the floor for a patio where the picnic table will be placed. I am dreadfully tired of trying to move that hulking thing every time I mow. Now I can just mow around it!
greenhouse gone.JPG

The crocuses are blooming to the bottom of the photo although the ground has been filled in level with the floor, hyacinth leaves are popping up along the right edge of the floor, also through a lot of added soil there as well. My peonies will need moving as they line the left edge, but the move is not urgent until we start the shade covering.

What spouse is attacking is an experiment in Bonsai gone awry. I planted the potted evergreens along the north side until I had a suitable spot for them to grow. Never happened! By this time, the ten foot (and better) tall trees had outgrown their pots and grown deep, large roots for Clayton to dig out.

Son says we'll build a pergola over the patio for sun protection. The table had been sitting in the shade of some big old burr oaks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way ahead of mine, but pretty. I love those flowers! I could lay beside them (downwind) just enjoying their aroma until the cows come home.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks a little wild, but here is what's growing now in my front yard.

Magnolia, after several hard freezes...not too bad.

Yellow with red striped tulips and one of my blue creeping phlox, in full bloom

Both creeping phlox on each side of the sidewalk and I don't remember which iris are growing there. I accidentally dug up the iris a couple of years ago, and when they didn't bloom the next year, I didn't know whether they were this:
http://orig11.deviantart.net/f293/f...h_white_stripes_iris_by_jamdebris-d38n4k0.jpg
(NOT my photo)
or this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Iris_'Paint_in_Black'_02.jpg
(again, NOT my photo)
Couldn't be any other type, but I'm thinking about getting some other colors.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the old slate walk ways so much better then cement!! I remember as a kid the city we lived in replace all the slate side walks with cement, at the time it seemed very modern. Now there are just ugly.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are a few more early flowering delights. Grape hyacinths:
Grape hyacinths.JPG

Shirley tulips: I don't care for the name (first spouse -- long gone before we met) but they are lovely and dependable bloomers.
Tulips Shirley.JPG

Latest posts