Persian Lime seeds?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was doing some reading up on the Persian Lime (a.k.a. the lime we are all used to) and found the following on wikipedia

"The Persian lime is a triploid cross between key lime (Citrus × aurantiifolia) and lemon (Citrus limon)" and is seedless.

The only thing is, I HAVE found seeds in Persian Limes. Not often but it does happen.

I know that this is not all that unusual (plenty of triploids make a few seeds now and then) But has anyone grown one of these seeds to maturity? And if so, what did you get? Another Persian Lime (i.e. what one would expect if the seed is parthenogenic) or more like a Lemon or a Key Lime (a reversion to one of the parents)?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never tried growing lime seeds, but DW has grown calamondin from seed. There are varying botanical opinions of the identity of calamondin, but it is supposedly a cross - that breeds true from seed? She grew plants from seed, and from rooted cuttings... neither did as well as the grafted trees both she & a friend purchased.

Persian lime may be something similar. If you wanted to find out what kind of fruit the seeds would produce, the best way might be to grow a seedling, and graft it into a citrus that is already fruiting. Maybe you know somneone who already has a citrus you could graft onto? That way you wouldn't waste much time (or indoor space) if the project turned out to be a dead end. If it turns out to be worth pursuing, you could re-graft the branch onto a root stock.

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I have LOTS of Yuzu treelets, so stock would be no problem.

Yeah I used to have a few calamondins as well. A variegated one and a micro-fruited one. Got 'em both in Chinatown. Handy for Filipino cooking (a calamondin and a calamansi are more or less the same thing, one is just a slightly different strain)