Pesky ant hills....

Lunachick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a nice flower garden along my asphalt driveway. It is edged with those black plastic edgers that you pound into the dirt, to keep the soil in the garden. Anyway I have ants building their condos along the edging and the sand/soil is mounding along the driveway.

I have to shovel it up (along with the ants) and toss it back into the garden. Every couple of days. :rant

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them? No chemical user here.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dried molasses seems to have an effect on ants and their production of hills.

We use to pour hot water onto their hills in the early morning. I guess this seemed to work.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have tried diatomaceous earth DE and have had success they either died or move somewhere else.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try cornmeal. They cannot digest it and it kills them. They carry it to their nests and the whole hill will partake. I tried this in my kitchen and it only took one day before I saw a drastic reduction in the ant population. Put it out yesterday and haven't seen an ant all day!!! :D

Lunachick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for all your suggestions, how do you get dried molasses? I have cornmeal, I'm going to try that.

I did sprinkle DE on them, it killed the ants that I saw, but the next morning a bunch more were working hard at the ant hills. :rolleyes: If the cornmeal doesn't do it, I think I'll sprinkle hot water/vinegar mix, that should do something!

Latest posts