Phalaenopsis that just won't quit.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
A woman told me a long time ago that Phalaenopsis flowers last so long you get sick of looking at them. At the time I did not believe her but I do now. This plant bloomed in early spring, and here six months later it is still blooming. The flowers are so heavy I have to tie the plant to 2" x 3" post to keep it from falling over. The plant shows no sign of dropping the flowers. o_O

phalaenopsis.jpg

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have an enviable problem, Jack. I feel sorry for you. By the way, what is the little purple orchid on the table amongst all the others?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have an enviable problem, Jack. I feel sorry for you. By the way, what is the little purple orchid on the table amongst all the others?

That plant is also a Phalaenopsis and what you see are seed pods. I cross-pollinated that miniature plant with the monster that refuses to quit flowering, the offspring may be interesting.

Too bad the plants are not fragrant, that would make them fantastic.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A woman told me a long time ago that Phalaenopsis flowers last so long you get sick of looking at them. At the time I did not believe her but I do now. This plant bloomed in early spring, and here six months later it is still blooming. The flowers are so heavy I have to tie the plant to 2" x 3" post to keep it from falling over. The plant shows no sign of dropping the flowers. o_O

View attachment 28818
Blooming for SIX Months! !!!! I have yet to keep on alive for 6 months. :(

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to keep cut flowers from florist on desk. I learned much cheaper in long run to buy a Phalaenopsis more weeks of flower for less money. Carol they are so ez treat like cactus, there roots cant stand being wet

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are some other orchids that buck the finicky reputation the genus has.

Back when I was a kid I there was an orchid aficionado who used to come to the farmers market from whom I bought a lot of plants. Most of them were "flower once" then die but one of them a Coleacanethes amazonicum (note: I have almost certainly misspelled the genus name) proved incredibly resilient. Moreover, so long as it was given water regularly and kept somewhere moist (I used a cloche) it kept flowering repeatedly. I'd probably still have it if it wasn't for the radiator incident. (we had a very cold spell, which sent the radiator into overdrive and all the plants there roasted).

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Opinion time: If orchids were fragrant, what would they smell like? (Other than the obvious answer of "orchid")
Orchids are so flamboyant, it seems to me they should have a flamboyant smell. Like...lily, or English rose.
What if it smelled like dead fish? Rotten eggs?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to keep cut flowers from florist on desk. I learned much cheaper in long run to buy a Phalaenopsis more weeks of flower for less money. Carol they are so ez treat like cactus, there roots cant stand being wet
I did this for a while too. Used to buy them at Trader Joe's where they're cheap. Didn't care that they weren't exotic or anything. Heck, I may buy one this weekend!

Mary

Latest posts