Pics from my winter fall garden with some questions

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So things are still alive after our early cold snap and my absolute neglect. I often come home in the dark and am totally scared of a dark garden that is where serial killer wait for you. But I still have things growing and now I am wondering what to. Within the next month it is time to start sowing the peas and start the peppers, tomatoes and brocoli and the lettuce for next season. Usually by now I have killed everything so this is my most successful winter garden and has been far more productive that the summer one.

So should I let the brocoli continue growing and then replace with different plants about Mid-Feb or if they survive just let them grow? Should I be fertizing to encourage more mini brocoli shoots? Should I turn under the peas? And plant again in two week? Of course I am going to attempt to rotate crops but...... now for the pics

This is bed 1 it has two brocoli, what I thought was a brocoli but is another collard green which freaking grows like weeds and wont die... I am so tired of eating them and a brussel spout that I plant in early Sept and yet has to develop the sprouts.

DSC00252.jpg

This is bed 2

It has a cabbage, 1 swiss chard (none of the rest made it) carrots and two brocolis. Not all the space has been used cause about a month ago I finally killed the peppers. which used to inhabit that space. So then I put compost on top for fun.

DSC00254.jpg

This is the peas lettuce and brocoli. The peas showed some damage after a frost and haven't really produced since we had a cold snap but I see new blooms on the plant. And I love love love lettuce. I just get the mix and throw.
DSC00255.jpg

The collard greens are now my enemy. 7 plants is way too much plants for a family of 6 with only 1 person willing to eat them. So I am over them. I will only plant 2 next season. they are ridiculously awesome hardy grow fast..... my enemy.

DSC00257.jpg

oh and sorry for the size of the photos. I don't know how to make them smaller or else I would have an avatar.
:idunno

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh yeah and the plastic sheets are from my new mattress that I got this fall I use it to protect (when I remember) against frost.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, those pics make my heartache! The only thing growing in my garden is ice and snow! Are you still getting broccoli side shoots? If so, I would leave them, until you are ready to replant. Even if you only get a few, you can add to them salads, stir fry, etc. Those collard greens are sure growing! Have you tried wilting them and adding them to dishes your family likes? I am always amazed with greens, how they virtually disappear when mixed in with pasta...
I would go ahead and eat that cabbage. If you see buds on the peas, you should get a few more...
Everything looks great. IMO when you are ready to start reseeding, tear out what is looking tired and start new. The lettuce looks yummy. Is that basil, I see? Enjoy your garden- green with envy!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks lesa. I am totally amazed at how this fall garden is producing. I have not been successful in previous years. So you think I should give the brocoli some fertilizer. Bail is another weed. Oh my gosh. Basil will be limited in next years garden.

ETA: my family disappoints me they don't seem to enjoy the veggies at all. Nasty children with a nasty husband. Green is not their favorite color.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not big on fertilizer during the growing season- but I suppose it is always growing season, where you are! You could side dress and see if it helps...
How disappointing that your family is not enjoying your harvest. Don't give up. Why not try and dry some of that basil? Then you wouldn't have to take up so much room with it? I adore basil. Do you ever make pizza? I go really heavy on the basil and I love it. The smell is like the best perfume to me! Yes, I am weird!
Do you have chickens? They would love those greens and basil!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure looks like things like growing down in your area. Around here I do not tell the main cook that I won't eat something or I will go hungry. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is wonderful to see your green, green garden, O!

Your LA Supreme Court justices don't need those campaign signs very often what with their 10-year terms, eh ;)? Good plan on using them for mulch.

Yes, basil in pizza aaaand spaghetti!

Your 2 little ones are still very young. It often takes a few years for them to progress beyond tomato sauce. And husbands? Well, so many of us are meat and potato types - sometimes it is hard for us to get it thru our thick skulls that potatoes are vegetables!!

How about some more starchy things? You know, like that sweet potato idea! And carrots!? Kids often have a real liking for a crisp, sweet carrot :). But, you can't be fretting about catching nematodes yourself if'n you want them to snack of a good carrot ;)!

Steve :frow

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe if your kiddos help plant a few things they'll be more excited to eat them. I let my daughter plant some summer squash last year and she loved picking them and even ate some.

Everything does look nice and healthy. Glad to hear you had a good year!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's so nice to still see GREEN veggies....I won't be able to plant anything in the garden 'til almost June......I like the raised beds.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh the kids help the plant away which is why I cant sf garden and there is mass chaos at to plant placement but the just wont eat them.

Latest posts