Piggies!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH came home with these 2 little guys last Friday.
piggies.jpg

He's named them Bacon & Pork Chop. They're really skittish, and DH is working very hard to make them tamer. He doesn't understand why I keep warning him that it's a bad idea.... I'm determined not to get attached to the adorable, delicious little guys, but man, it's hard! We've never raised pigs before, and it's kind of amazing how industrious they are. We'll have them until after the garden's done, so I'm eager to see them work over the soil like they've done in their pen.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have pigs but not for eating. Midnight, Pork Chop (aka Mr. Pig) and our new 3 babies whom we are keeping the little black girl "Bacon Bits".
IMAG0679.jpg
I understand why you don't want to bond with them if they are headed to freezer camp but there's nothing wrong with providing more than the basic care to insure they have lived a healthy and happy life. I eat my chickens but I still dote and spoil them until their time has come.
The way to a pigs heart is through food, our pot bellied pigs were very skittish when we first purchased them. They would actually try and climb the walls to get away from us. Then one day I bought a bag of animal crackers and within a week they were eating out of our hands and letting us touch them. Now days Pork Chop follows me around, lays under my chair, sits on the deck with me, uses me as a scratching post, and is my Grandsons best buddy, oh and the dogs too. Pork Chop was the runt of a litter and I syringe Fed him and he lived in the house with us for the entire winter, I was so happy to see spring so he could finally go outside. The only animal that belongs in the house is chickens lol.
I would like some feeder pigs as well.
Messenger_5857524875502518104_13965427578854655.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard some people say they downright hate them by the time they are old enough to butcher. They are cute while they're little though.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 - That's what I'm hoping! Because I've also heard stories about them being like dogs. Those were from 4Hers, though, so that probably makes a difference.

Those kids must really handle them a lot. I am always amazed to see a 60 lb. child maneuvering a 250 lb. hog with a just stick!

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@curly_kate they are Kune-Kune pot bellied pig mix. My pigs don't retain that chipmunk pattern, when they are around 5 months they turn brown/red. I believe the pattern is more of a camouflage. Some folks say that their pigs keep the chipmunk pattern but we have had 24 of them and not one ever did. We enjoy our pigs but of course their pets, not the butchering kind.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@curly_kate I also wanted to add that your pigs look very nice, I wouldn't be able to resist giving them a good belly rub.
When we were children we got 6 feeder pigs and ma had each one of us pick a pig for our very own. We were thrilled! They were never fenced in they just roamed the yard and rooted everything up. We have pictures of us kids walking, rubbing, and feeding them, I can remember those times as wonderful childhood memories. Then one day when our pigs were big and fat we were told to go in the house and stay there. Well it was butchering day for our so thought of pets. We cried the rest of the day, but we did enjoy the pork so I assume we came to terms with their fate. Now our cow Milly we stood our ground and refused to let our mother butcher her, well long story short she ended up selling the cow only because I think she loved that cow as much as we did, but having 12 mouths to feed is more important than keeping a pet cow and buying it's food. I think when you know what your getting animals for its much easier to send them to freezer camp.

Latest posts