Pine needle tea?

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure where this goes so I will put it here.
DD'S and I were watching man vs. wild and he made a tea from pine needles. He said it tastes good and is good for you it has a lot of vitamin c. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. We love tea and would like to try it but I am a little hesitant. I would like to hear from you guys and see if any of you have heard this or made pine needle tea.

Blisschick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I saw on Andrew Zimmern's show where they made pine needle tea with the green tips of spruce trees. He said it tasted real 'piney', but was good. I don't know how loblolly would taste. LOL

Betsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I tried white pine needle tea at an edible plants class I attended in August. If I liked hot drinks, it would've been good. I forget exactly how the teacher made it, but I could give you the contact info for the organization that held the class and I know they'd be happy to share how to make the tea.

hsm5grls

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That would be great. I have 4 pine trees and the needles get everywhere. I'm not sure what kind of pine needles are edible or if they all are, but for some reason my girls thought it would be really cool to drink pine needle tea.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I made it when I was a kid and more adventuresome. Yuck. I would drink it to keep me from starving but that's just about it.

Anyway all you do is smash up some pine needles in your hand, pour boiling water on them, let them steep, and then strain out the tea. You can use any pine needles. There are no poisonous ones. I would recommend fresh green ones picked from above waist level.

On another note man vs. wild totally freaks me out with the stuff he eats. I saw that one where he drank the liquid from the camel rumen and it put me off my feed for the rest of the week! I think it would be hilarious if there were a man vs. wild cookbook. How many people do you think would buy it?