plans to make a roadside stand

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Chickie
I have thought of doing the same thing.. My DH has been urging me to do this for years...I always have too much rhubarb, asparagas,squash and tomatoes then I know what to do with...
A friend of mine used to put her produce in the back of her pick up truck and parked it in her drive and left a shoe box for the money...she has never had a problem with theft...

{PS are you off Exit 11???}
yep! just across the street from the DPW barn!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
momofdrew said:
Chickie
I have thought of doing the same thing.. My DH has been urging me to do this for years...I always have too much rhubarb, asparagas,squash and tomatoes then I know what to do with...
A friend of mine used to put her produce in the back of her pick up truck and parked it in her drive and left a shoe box for the money...she has never had a problem with theft...

{PS are you off Exit 11???}
yep! just across the street from the DPW barn!
Wow we are neighbors!!! School Street!!

ToxinFreeRainforest

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Note of caution: be sure to check with your local zoning laws. Some communities will require a permit, others will not allow selling 'commercial goods' from private property. Still others won't say 'boo' until/unless someone complains - so you may also gently run this by your neighbors in case any are finicky about increased traffic in the area.

Hope you live where there is 'common sense' and no fees or goofy restrictions.

You GO girl!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
momofdrew wrote:

For the record Momofdrew there is NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH RHUBARB!!!!! I don't know who informed you of this or what unit of measurement you have for gauging this, but there really is no such thing and I would appreciate if you stopped that nonsense and sent any rhubarb that you woulld otherwise classify as "too much" to my house here in Michigan. I absolutely love the stuff. Im working on expanding my patch this year and next year and the year after ;)

On a more serious note, we do have plenty of folks who sell extras on their property like you mentioned. Most of them are very simple carts with little baskets holding the extras everything from tomatoes and cukes to corn stalks and pumpkins. There is a real folksy look to them but nobody works the stands its all on your honor. I've never heard of an issue either, but these are also small set ups. Even have a few set ups that are nothing more than a coffee can with a slit cut in the top with extra veggies on a card table at the end of someone's driveway. But then again its a very small town and everybody knows everybody.

One other thing that our church is going to do this year is collect extras grown by the congregation and donate them to the local food pantry. Most folks where I live have a garden and just about everybody has extras of something and we all hate to see that go to waste. So the idea was hatched to put a few baskets on a table just inside the entrance of the church for anybody to leave their extras that you have and are willing to part with as a donation to the local food bank. No names, just bring in your extras and after service they'll get driven over to the food bank. Figure someone needs them lets put them to use. No idea how well this will work but we'll see.

Hope you give your stand a go. If it was me, Id set it up not to be manned and just go on your honor. Your not out anything if you don't sell anything and if you make some $ from it thats bonus. Besides you've got chickens, maybe put up a sign about eggs too help offset more of your costs that way. I plan on posting my extra tomato and pepper plants on Craigslist to help offset some of my costs here shortly. They will be my culls, but I know I can come under the big box store nursery prices so I hope to get some takers. And if not they were extra seeds anyway so I'm not out anything.

Remember nothing ventured nothing gained.

-Jared

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ToxinFreeRainforest said:
Note of caution: be sure to check with your local zoning laws. Some communities will require a permit, others will not allow selling 'commercial goods' from private property. Still others won't say 'boo' until/unless someone complains - so you may also gently run this by your neighbors in case any are finicky about increased traffic in the area.

Hope you live where there is 'common sense' and no fees or goofy restrictions.

You GO girl!
in our area they had discussed this at many meetings last year and decided to not require permits or disallow them if they are not a structure like a building that would require a permit just to be built. i have also spoken with my neighbors and both are fine with it. the only thing i do need to be careful with is the size of a sign. they are sticklers for them being too big or not placed in an approved area. i know some areas they do require a permit for signs that are going to be posted for longer than a day or two that are not on your property.

we are not restricted when it comes to having yard or garage sales, as long as it doesn't appear that you are becoming a 'junk' yard or second hand store. last year they had quite a few yard sales on their own property and it didn't bother us as long as people didn't park in or in front of our driveway.

Latest posts