Planting around the base of a dwarf apple

pixie74943

Sprout
Reaction score
I have a dwarf apple tree in a wine barrel and I want to plant something around the base.

I'm thinking:
- Catnip
- Strawberries
- Chammomile

are any of these going to work? I'm not sure about root depth, stealing nutrients, crowding, etc. etc.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In Gaia's Garden (book) is a list with companion plants you can plant under or near apple trees. I Don't have it near me now, so I got this list from here:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/apples/apple-tree-companions.htm

"There are several different plants that are beneficial apple tree companions. The following plants include apple tree companions that deter pests and enrich the soil when cut back and left as mulch: Comfrey, Nasturtium, Chamomile, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Basil, Lemongrass, Mint, Artemisia, Yarrow.
Daffodil, tansy, marigold and hyssop also deter apple tree pests.

When used as an apple companion plant, chives help prevent apple scab, and deter deer and rabbits; but be careful, as you may end up with chives taking over the bed. Dogwood and sweet cicely attract beneficial insects that eat apple tree pests. Dense plantings of any of these apple companion plants will help keep weeds down."

Edit: If I remember correctly Fennel improves the taste of the apples.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DD's have an unusual and shady back yard with subdivisions made from cement and sidewalks. One section has wild strawberries and I told them leave it bc it makes a great ground cover that needs little weeding.https://housecentral.info/w/wild-strawberry-ground-cover.html
Don't bother eating, they don't taste very good. Also cultivated strawberries need sun, so you might want to mix the two. The wild strawberries grow much lower and don't require any mowing, just periodic weeding until established.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an apple, peach, and nectarine tree in containers. I also have other large containers with blueberries. I have tried growing different things underneath them with some success. But I find that the best thing is to just top with horse manure and mulch heavily with wood chips. It looks tidy and eventually they break down enriching the soil.

Mary

Latest posts