1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Planting Day!

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Mauldintiger, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mar 12, 2015
    Mauldintiger

Mauldintiger Deeply Rooted

Took the afternoon of today and planted broccoli, potatoes, lettuce, spinach, cabbage and some kale seeds. I sheet mulch organically and no till. So, I pulled back the mulch and put the seed potatoes on the ground, added some vermicompost and straw. Will let you know how it turns out!

Attached Files:

thistlebloom and catjac1975 like this.
  2. Mar 13, 2015
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

Still winter here!

3. Mar 13, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Direct-sowing that seed in the garden, Mauldintiger?

I've even done that here and in turned out okay with the broccoli and cabbage. It was long ago but I remember that I had plenty of late cabbage and the large, sprouting broccoli.

The guidance I was following said that the cabbage "did better" with transplanting. So, I had a small fertile bed for starting the seed. Then, the small plants were moved out into other beds for the summer.

Was that transplanting unnecessary?

Steve

4. Mar 13, 2015
    Mauldintiger

Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and cabbage were plants, but I did direct seed a lettuce mix Sunday, it's already sprouting. Potting soil on top of Strawbale to keep it away from a pesky rabbit! image.jpg

5. Mar 13, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

I grew my potatoes like this one year (no dig, hilling with straw too) and got lots of huge, beautiful potatoes. Unfortunately the voles had a heyday under there and took bites out of most of my potatoes. DD and I counted a dozen voles come shooting out of the patch like Roman candles as we dug our potatoes. :confused: This method works great to produce some very nice potatoes, but I just thought I should warn you about the voles. I have 4 cats running around here now. Somehow I think the outcome may have been different if I had had cats at the time. :)

6. Mar 13, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

@journey11 , I've said something about this before but your experience was also mine.

Rain-spoiled alfalfa made wonderful compost but it also must have been a great home for the voles.

They still show up in my garden. Sometimes, I don't know that voles are hiding under tomato plants (a favorite location), until a coyote digs them out. Under the hay mulch in the potato patch that year, they had a city.

Steve

7. Mar 13, 2015
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

They really play havoc in my yard and garden, too. And I didn't have a good crop of potatoes when I used straw as deep mulch. They stayed damp enough, but just didn't grow like I had envisioned. Don't remember particularly having problems with voles in the potatoes, but I bet the population has really climbed over the last couple of years.
    I hope you have good luck, Mauldintiger, and prove that all those you-tube videos are true!

8. Mar 13, 2015
    Mauldintiger

I had to google voles to see what they were! I have heard you guys talking about them, but never thought to look them up. I don't think we have them here, unless they are the same as our field mice. Planted potatoes in the dirt last year, and did not have a very good crop so trying something different this year.

9. Mar 13, 2015
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

Voles are not field mice but something different. They tunnel a lot like moles and can kill a plant by tunneling under, especially newly planted stuff, but that is accidental. I have a bigger problem with them eating on my sweet potatoes, not the white potatoes. I normally do not mulch my white potatoes, they self-mulch after a certain point, but often mulch the sweet potatoes to keep weeds and grass down. Especially Bermuda grass.

10. Mar 13, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

Here's a map I found on their range...
    [​IMG]
    I remember Vfem in NC talking about being plagued with them. I'd never seen one either until the potato thing. Maybe there is some kind of trap or poison you could put out preemptively?

@digitS' , I was surprised to read that coyotes will eat them! What's that like, a potato chip? You can't have just one. LOL They're so tiny.