Planting the Garden

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we have big speckled butter beans in the ground now. That's Giant Speckled Lima beans for you folks up north. They's just butter beans down here though. Got the 'maters in, bush beans, shallots, onions, 'taters, sweet 'taters, carrots, burpless gourmet cucumbers, yellow summer squash, butternut winter squash, zucchini and golden beets in too. Tomorrow night I'll put in the watermelons, cantaloupe, and okra and we'll pretty much be done with planting the summer garden. Well, I'll probably put in a row or two of sweet corn. I'm thinking of putting them in with some pole beans so they'll have something to climb up on. Teresa trellised the butter beans and cucumbers to get them up off the ground. And of course we've been taking asparagus now for the past three weeks. Oh, and there's a rhubarb plant that came back so maybe we'll get a strawberry/rhubarb cobbler soon. Pics as soon as things start popping.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was that all transplants- or do you plant the seeds directly in the ground? Sounds like you will have another very successful garden! Tonight is our first night for asparagus- I can hardly wait!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Was that all transplants- or do you plant the seeds directly in the ground? Sounds like you will have another very successful garden! Tonight is our first night for asparagus- I can hardly wait!
The tomatoes were grown indoors since mid-February and all the others were seeds. The cukes and butterbeans are all coming up, as well as the potatoes and shallots. We went from cold, wet winter, no spring, directly to summer. Temps were in the high 80's yesterday and mid 80's today.

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Seems like we get all or nothing, no in-between.
The tomatoes were grown indoors since mid-February and all the others were seeds. The cukes and butterbeans are all coming up, as well as the potatoes and shallots. We went from cold, wet winter, no spring, directly to summer. Temps were in the high 80's yesterday and mid 80's today.