Plants that are easy to grow

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@flowerbug reminded me from Post#21
about easy to grow flowers and vegetables. I have gotten permission from the postmaster to pull petunias from their bed. Somebody (???) planted them several years ago and they keep coming back and the postmaster is tired of them. I unterstand that not all petunias reseed, but These do, so I want them to grow at my place.
I thought: "What a great flower that needs NO tending!"
Flowerbug mentioned red poppies. They MUST be an easy crop if they had to "eradicate them." Sounds harsh! :hide
The squashes that I threw in my sweet potato bed were easy peasy NO CARE. I even got pumpkins from them, the most unusual are the two pale pink ones, darker pink pumpkins that must have cross pollinated with a baby boo.
That zucchini has two other brothers still in the garage. Thought I ought to eat one...and stay away from the ice cream sandwiches today.
Pumpkin harvest still good, 10-27-22.jpg

NOTE: You should always take precautions against squash vine borers and squash bugs.
BUT, if you plant a little bit later the squash vine borer wasp has moved on and they are no care.
What are YOUR suggestions for easy to grow flowers and plants?

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug reminded me from Post#21
about easy to grow flowers and vegetables. I have gotten permission from the postmaster to pull petunias from their bed. Somebody (???) planted them several years ago and they keep coming back and the postmaster is tired of them. I unterstand that not all petunias reseed, but These do, so I want them to grow at my place.
I thought: "What a great flower that needs NO tending!"
Flowerbug mentioned red poppies. They MUST be an easy crop if they had to "eradicate them." Sounds harsh! :hide

the deer and chipmunks were eating them a lot more than either of us were pulling. i didn't have much pulling to do in the gardens because they had not migrated much but Mom was more into it - once she decides she doesn't like something it's hard to get her to change her mind.

What are YOUR suggestions for easy to grow flowers and plants?

the red, yellow and orange cosmos. bees love them. garlic is easy in that no animals go after it, but it has a rather odd season compared to the annual garden crops so you do have to plan and work around it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had opium poppies trying to take over my garden for years, given to me by a friend. They were big plants and spread like wildfire. Gorgeous, but space hogs considering I don't have tons of space. The police once visited her about their 'presence'. 🤣

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have just a few annual poppies in the yard these days. At one time, there were quite a few and we brought them, intentionally or unintentionally, when we moved here - I don't remember which.

I told DW that if the police had called at our other home just to tell them that they came from RosaLee in the corner house. That was true but RosaLee was a lady in her 80's. She also had petunia in her garden that volunteered :).

I've mentioned the love-in-the-mist and larkspur. A garden that we no longer have and the property owner allowed to go to weeds, still had dark red snapdragons showing up 5 years after we were no longer there. In our present home, Mountain Bluet would take over if we didn't pull 90% of the plants. They have pretty flowers but the foliage looks terrible after it develops mildew later in their season. Seed has already set, apparently.

I also find squash and pumpkins easy to grow. Seldom have any trouble with sweet corn and I mentioned bush beans. Pole beans sometimes have trouble - their longer season doesn't always work out very well. There we go -- the Three Sisters 😁.

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting thread topic ducks!

It's a good question and strangely what isn't easy to grow comes to mind first! 😂

Top of my easy list would be corn, the Liso Calcutta gherkins were a breeze once it got warm this year. Tomatoes for sure. Those weeds never have problems, aside from flop•all over•itis. Marigolds are a nice and hardy flower, not too coarse. Peas I find rather hardy and easy to please as well. Lettuce for eating is a snap, lettuce for seed is not!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had opium poppies trying to take over my garden for years, given to me by a friend. They were big plants and spread like wildfire. Gorgeous, but space hogs considering I don't have tons of space. The police once visited her about their 'presence'. 🤣

as a kid i grew weed, we kept the potted plant in the wheel barrow so we could move it around just in case the police visited. they're very interesting and beautiful plants. i never kept it long enough that it flowered. this was way back in the dark ages before there were all the special varieties that are available now. they really stink! *phew!*

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never been able to be present when that green stinky stuff is around. I run for the hills. Makes me heave. :sick

it is really strong, enough that i don't enjoy being in the gardens when the wind direction is the wrong way and Mom won't go out there at all. we're not going to grow it any more. we don't smoke it or use it for anything.

i do admit that the smells at times are very "interesting" and complex but the simple fact of it smelling way too much for me to do anything near it says it's time to use those gardens for something else next season. they've taken up a lot of space and reduced my beans, peas, and other crops. so i want my gardens back too.