Plants to repel mosquitoes

dirtlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Does anyone have plant ideas that really work to repel mosquitoes at porches and patios? I've read that lemongrass is good. Others?

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a huge pot of marigolds on my porch and they seem to be staying away. I'm not an expert though!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi,dirtlover, and Welcome! If you can, it would be interesting to use a variety of herbs on your patio. Lots of the aromatic herbs are used for insect repellant, like lavender, rosemary, sage. I have heard of mosquito repelling qualities of catmint, as well. There is also some herb that repels fleas, but the name escapes me at the moment.
If you are a mosquito magnet, you might try taking garlic pills. And lots of people use cheap artificial vanilla mixed with rubbing alcohol to spray on to repel gnats......remember buffalo gnats the last few years? Ugh!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky , was the flea repellent tansy?
I remember growing some one year to add to my dogs bedding and a friend came over and saw it and couldn't believe I had planted it on purpose. She used to have to walk the pastures and dig it out at her grandparents farm.

dirtlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I will be trying some of these ideas! We've had more rain this year than in several years and mosquitoes are really going to be a big problem.

tigercountry2023

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Does anyone have plant ideas that really work to repel mosquitoes at porches and patios? I've read that lemongrass is good. Others?

Basil is a very strong repellant. Mosquitoes hate the smell of it, and the leaves don't even have to be crushed up to release their aroma; the smell is strong enough already.