Plastic for weed control

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok I am about to start a garden out in my field. The field is always covered in weeds. I was wondering if I was to lay down clear plastc. Like the kind of plastic to lay down to paint, or to put on your windows. And cut holes for my plants. Would that work?? Would the weeds grow anyways since it is clear?? Has anyone ever done this before? Please Help me!!!!!!

Mike

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my parents used to spread black plastic to kill everything under it.. so that you could plant.. but I dont know about keeping it there?? they do something like that out at our closest strawberry farm.. but not sure..

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use landscaping fabric... some weeds don't get bothered and grow under and across it to the other side. I really try to get some of those nasty deep roots out of the way before I lay the landscaper fabric down. Plus, landscapers fabric actually lets the moisture into it to feed the plants I have growing through it. After covering it with mulch it makes a nice happy moist place for my plants... after the first year, I rarely have to bother watering them anymore. Just a spray with a hose is enough to keep them happy for days and days! (Longer after a good hard rain :D )

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
crazzzymike13 said:
Ok I am about to start a garden out in my field. The field is always covered in weeds. I was wondering if I was to lay down clear plastc. Like the kind of plastic to lay down to paint, or to put on your windows. And cut holes for my plants. Would that work??
Clear plastic works well in some circumstances for reducing weeds in a bed before you plant there. It 'solarizes' the soil, meaning gets it real hot, which will kill a lot of weed seeds and even some perennial weeds' roots. (Not, unfortunately, the most pernicious perennial weeds). That's if you put it down in a hot sunny climate, mind... if you try solarizing soil this time of year or in part-shade, you will just get a bazillion weeds growing under there :p Even when done properly, there is usually a flush of early growth of weeds under the plastic before they die, but if the sun is high and hot and long enough they WILL die.

However, I would not suggest planning to leave it there and plant your garden through it. The main reason is that the same high soil temps that kill weed seeds and some weed roots will also have very bad effects on your 'on purpose' plants. They will die or grow very poorly. (Some possible exceptions in very cold climates).

If you really want to plant through plastic, plant through black plastic (not as hard on your plants); but I'm not a big fan of that either, because the plastic is a horrible mess to get rid of at the end of the season, and you pretty much have to have an elaborate irrigation system set up since water will not penetrate the plastic well (not even the stuff that advertises having a zillion tiny holes, trust me), and weeds will often get through the plastic anyhow and then are really difficult to get rid of without messing up your fabric further; and there are easier cheaper solutions IMHO like cardboard or newspaper with a mulch to hold them down.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts